Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Water beneath cabinets in the Galley - Rain Intrusion?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
windymike
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 38' aft cabin
Under Contract
New owner of a yacht

Water beneath cabinets in the Galley - Rain Intrusion?

Postby windymike » February 27th, 2021, 10:39 pm

Hello there. I am new to this forum since I just got my boat in November. Had it put up on block for winter storage in January. Visited it 2 days ago to check on it and found water seeping out under my galley cabinets. Water systems are all off and winterized.

Doesn't look like I can remove the cabinets without destroying them, but was able to pull up the bottom board under the sink which allowed me to dry up the water (there was at about a half gallon.) It rained today, so I went back to check and there was more water. The wet areas are behind the two steps leading down to the galley and under the cabinets.
The water had also seeped under the parqueted floor boards which appear to be relatively new. Hopefully they will dry out without too much damage.

Is this rain water intrusion? Were would it be coming from? Bilge is dry. I've heard that water can get under the deck ??? If so, how does that happen? Bridge is covered with full enclosure.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Re: Water beneath cabinets in the Galley - Rain Intrusion?

Postby tomschauer » February 27th, 2021, 11:51 pm

Look for water trails around the windows, portholes etc.
These things can be difficult to trace.
Also, look on the bridge, i believe the older 36 and 38's had some pretty clear paths for water from the bridge into the cabin, especially in the cubby to port and starboard.
Even with a full bridge enclosure, water can always find a way to ruin your day.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 28th, 2021, 8:16 am

Sometimes boats leak when on blocks that don't leak when in the water due to the storage angle forcing water to run off at different angles......did yours leak before storage ? Have a real good look around the window seals.

Oh did you winterize or the marina, maybe it was already there from before ?....also check the sink drains in that area.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Sven2021
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1993 Carver 390 aft cabin. Twin CAT diesels. Koehler Yanmar diesel generator 9kw. serial CRV0002J293

Postby Sven2021 » February 28th, 2021, 9:23 am

I have a 1993 390 Carver. I found that mine was leaking along the bottom edge of the aluminum window frame. I cleaned the crack and taped (because my caulking sucks) the edges and caulked those frames. Also check the bottom window track. There is a small slot in the frame to allow rain that hits the window to not fill the track and drain outward. If you don't schrinkwrap in the winter those tracks fill and freeze also causing some water intrusion.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » February 28th, 2021, 10:40 am

I agree with all the above. Could be coming from anywhere though I think it would be obvious if it were the porthole above the galley sink. If the hull isn't blocked level, that water could be coming from the aft cabin windows, bridge, bow, etc. and run along that side of the hull. This model has carpeting around the windows and portholes, I'd start by feeling for wet carpet along that side from stem to stern. If there is a path from the side windows for water to migrate, you may be able to see it if you pull back the breaker panels and look for a wet hull side back there. The engine compartment vents may also be suspect and worth checking for signs of water intrusion.

It may come down to waiting until Spring when you can get a garden hose and spray different areas with water. Isolate one area at a time, have someone try to duplicate a rainfall in that area while you go down below and look for water. If none appears right away, leave it and check the next morning as it may take a few hours to migrate to its resting place. While it's not always easy to do, if you can block off the run from stem to stern with towel dams every 5 feet or so, it will help isolate which area above those sections is the source of the leak. Note that where the water is collecting now will likely change when the hull is in the water so it might be smart to wet her down before launch. If no water appears, you've likely eliminated that area as the culprit and should repeat the process in a different spot. I would start in the lowest spots first and work your way up. Don't blast the windows for example as you'll likely force water in and not duplicate what's actually happening.

If it's a 3807, I have the same boat so am curious if there's something I should be proactive about before it presents itself. Good luck and keep us posted.

windymike
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Under Contract
New owner of a yacht

Postby windymike » February 28th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Okay. Lots to try. Raining pretty hard right now, so I am heading over to see if something is obvious.

Water in the area did appear when it was in the water, just not as much. Was doing work on some floorboards that were popping up from swelling and heard a slow drip into the forward bilge pump area (under the steps to the galley). When it was out of the water and winterized, it looked to me to have dried up. Figured I have to wait till spring when the water systems were back on to try to find it. Didn't occur to me that it would come from outside, especially because it appeared in the middle of the cabin. Guess they were just dry days.

We did just get past some cold (freezing weather) and I didn't wrap it. So will look at those windows first.

Thanks and will keep you posted.

windymike
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Under Contract
New owner of a yacht

Postby windymike » February 28th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Well, the rain made it obvious and Sven appears to be right.

I had already pulled apart the cabinet behind the dining table, thinking a leak in the holding tank (yuck) or fridge or other plumbing was the culprit, but never saw anything but a tiny bit of moisture. With the rain coming down hard it was immediately obvious and the drips appear to be right below the SB window track. The boat is definitely leaning to the port side a bit, so all that water ran across the boat and under the galley cabinets.

Put a small trash can under the drip and will fix the window another day. Any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated.

What a relief. Thanks and I will keep all your advice on hand about how to find leaks.

Windy (Gail)

PS Not sure why the "Leak" picture turned sideways
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”