Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

carpet/verse seadek

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
kemahguy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2007 carver 47my

carpet/verse seadek

Postby kemahguy » March 11th, 2021, 9:28 am

hello, recently purchase 07 47my. Considering Seadek verse carpet replacement. Seadek came in a bit high $9,600. Carpet venders want me to supple template and don't warrant fit "because I'm cutting template". Anyone know of vender that has precut spec to this year and model?

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: carpet/verse seadek

Postby Tireless » March 11th, 2021, 9:46 am

My experience is that most carpet venders prefer a new template v.s. Relying on the template of a sistership. As for the Seadek, I know this is true as I am in the process of ordering some for the rear cockpit and swim platform for my boat. I know they have a template from my friends boat, that is the same as mine. They prefer to prepare and charge me for a new template.

I made a template for a previous boat using 6 mm Poly, (vapour barrier), following the line on the edge of my non-skid. Very simple to do and the 6 mm poly is very easy to work with. Be careful, as when you have it down on the floor it is extremely slippery, so wear your skates, lol.

As for what you choose. It’s a personal thing. I have found that over time carpet on a boat gets stained and can start to smell as it goes through it wet/dry cycle. The foam like seadek can be washed and is okay with getting wet as it is impervious to water. It’s great for outside installation as well as aft decks and fly bridge. My plan is to get rid of all the carpet in these area’s.

Good luck with your decision, and share your pics.

Greg

United States of America
tgebler
First Mate
First Mate
Vessel Info: 2000 396 AC

Postby tgebler » March 11th, 2021, 10:43 am

I would recommend a product called Gator Step which is similar to Seadeck. We had it installed on the swim platform and stairs to the cockpit. Looks great and very durable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 11th, 2021, 11:01 am

I've got this on my 405 flybridge and sundeck, snapped down patterned it myself cut it and took to a local place and had the edges bound to complete the look.. instead of carpet or seadek..looks more like a carpet instead of rubber won't stain or hold water. https://infinitylwv.com/
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » March 11th, 2021, 11:22 am

g36 wrote:Source of the post I've got this on my 405 snapped down patterned it myself cut it and took to a local place and had the edges bound to complete the look.. instead of carpet or seadek..looks more like a carpet instead of rubber won't stain or hold water. https://infinitylwv.com/

This is actually the product that I am going to go with. I guess it goes by different names. I think it will be great addition to the boat.

Greg

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » March 11th, 2021, 12:11 pm

I'm very happy with it I've had it about 4 years now.. I replaced the old carpet I had inherited with the boat purchase it was stained and rubber backing was sticking to the deck and disintegrating. I think you'll also be pleased
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » March 11th, 2021, 12:54 pm

I just installed the Infinity flooring in my bridge and cockpit. Really easy to work with. I prefer the look of Seadeck or the Gator Deck above, as the inside borders of the teak lines are finished off real nice. The Infinity Teak design is basically straight lines so the finished look is not quite as clean, but looks real nice. I have a friend that has been using the Infinity for the last 4 years. He has no stains, no fade, and no shrink. Here is an option for you. Go to this website: https://marinecarpeting.com Phone # 608-770-0538 Ask them if they have the template for your vessel. If they do, they send it to you for $35. You can lay it down in the areas you are covering to confirm. They are actually Seadeck templates, but you can use them to cut the Infinity flooring if you go that route. I have a 21 foot roll of Infinity that is 8'6" wide. Same color as tgebler deck above. If that is enough, I will sell that to you for $483. ( found a swinging deal at a company going out of business ) Can't ship it, so you need to figure out how to pick it up. Hope this helps you out. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 11th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Oh, forgot to mention my motivation behind using Infinity. I like the idea of having the option to snap down or glue. Seadeck has to be glued, and once it is down,..it is down. With the Infinity, I can cut a couple different colors, and change things up if I get bored. So I am snapping down.

Kemahguy - do you have carpet pieces for the areas you are working on? You could use those as templates. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » March 11th, 2021, 5:43 pm

The Infinity flooring cuts easily with a sharp carpet knife or utility knife. When you go with the grain, it almost guides you to a straight line. You can have it bound very reasonably at any upholstery place, but not necessary as it does not fray like carpeting pile. I will bind the swim platform pieces so it looks more like the swim deck above. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral

Postby g36 » March 11th, 2021, 6:31 pm

There's several styles and colors so spend some time on the options
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.