Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Chrome fittings

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Great Britain
PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Hornbill III
1988 Carver 2827 Voyager,Volvo Penta TAMD31 engines.
Ardglass Marina, County Down

Chrome fittings

Postby PossiblyPaul » March 16th, 2021, 4:26 pm

One of the 'to dos' since effectively losing six months of maintenance time is sorting out the various chromed fittings on my 2827; this is the sort of thing which has happened (over the years, doubtless) to various fittings, including throttle controls:
IMG_0650[27950].jpg

That's the soap dish from the forward cabin; chrome on aluminium, or steel, has flaked and separated. I'm going to take my hand-drill with a wire brush to it, and probably paint it or something, but before I do, wonder whether this is a common thing, commonly resolved. Throttle controls are notoriously pricey.

Here's the Question: is it possible - and worth the time and expense - to try to repair and polish up these items, or just dump them and buy new? If there's a quick, relatively easy way of fixing the issue, I'd rather not spend my pension on expensive replacements. It's whisky money, after all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Funga Safari

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: Chrome fittings

Postby waybomb » March 16th, 2021, 5:45 pm

I don't think you'll "fix" that no matter what you do. EBay is your friend. Items such as soap dishes do not need to be listed as marine. I bet you can find one on ebay for less than 10 bucks. Stainless or plastic will last a very long time.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 17th, 2021, 9:10 am

I think that one may be done for. I like to keep original stuff but sometimes just got to replace with new. :-D
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PossiblyPaul » March 17th, 2021, 9:21 am

Yes, think you're both right. Oh, well. No Lagavulin for a week or so...
Funga Safari

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » March 17th, 2021, 9:24 am

An Islay person!
Love the smoke.. My cabinet has Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and a few different Ardbegs.
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » March 17th, 2021, 11:15 am

I have to agree with the others, I call that dead meat. Possible with a gentle glass bead blaster and a good coat of epoxy paint, it could be salvaged however it would be a rather mat finish as the corrosion blemishes will definitely come through the paint.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » March 17th, 2021, 12:30 pm

I have something like plastic or aluminium strainers in the sink. Completely worn with such barnacles on it. No way I'm ever going to find replacements for those.

So I'll probably clean and sand them back into shape and spray them with some waterproof paint.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 17th, 2021, 7:04 pm

Sometimes ya just gotta let em go.... :-D

I will say though there are some older deck fittings like the water /fuel/pumpout that were chromed heavy brass.....they come up real nice after you sand the chrome off then polish the brass.....really adds a nice touch.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby PossiblyPaul » March 17th, 2021, 7:11 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Sometimes ya just gotta let em go.... :-D

... some older deck fittings like the water /fuel/pumpout that were chromed heavy brass.....they come up real nice after you sand the chrome off then polish the brass.....really adds a nice touch.

Have to agree there. I inherited some old instruments in my last boat (a Fisher25) which revealed beautiful brass after a bit of work. If only my throttles on the Carver were brass under the flakey chrome...
waybomb wrote:Source of the post An Islay person!
Love the smoke.. My cabinet has Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and a few different Ardbegs.

Good man. Luckily, my bottle of Laphroaig on board remains untouched and shall remain so until launched again. Not the case with the one in front of me here at my desk, though.
Funga Safari

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 17th, 2021, 8:17 pm

Ya if you blast that thing it'll only reveal a bunch of deep crevasses. It can be repaired and re-chromed as it's done all the time for antique cars, boats, bikes, etc. but it's a costly venture and only worth it if you have deep pockets and truly want to bring her back to her original looks in every detail. There is a place for that but I wouldn't be doing it for a boat of that vintage as I don't think it'd hold it's value or appreciate much to recover costs. It'd be different if it were a collector's type vessel of the early 1900's though. There are some Muskoka style gentlemen's racers up here that would just blow you away with the amount of detail and restoration that was put into them. Huge bucks, but you can't have a multi million dollar cottage on Lake Muskoka and have a cookie cutter boat on your dock without at least one of these too. It's all about bragging rights ya know ;-)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”