Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stringer repair

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Superg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1985 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin
Harbored in Lake St. Clair, MI

Re: Stringer repair

Postby Superg » April 12th, 2021, 7:00 pm

ah yes. Without posting a photo, I'll try to describe the limber holes. The hole from outboard to inboard should be a smooth downward slope so that water flows uninhibited to the center. It isn't. Instead the hand laid fiberglass and resin have created a lip on the inboard side of the hole which traps some water permanently like a dam. Furthermore, the hole in the core is wider than the hole in the fiberglass, so I have essentially an inch deep 5 inch wide cup that holds water between the fiberglass walls. Building it up means filling that space so water cannot sit there.
John T.
New Boat Owner (so lots to learn)
1985 Carver 3207 Aft Cabin
Harbored in St Clair Shores, MI

United States of America
Klm33333
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver Riviera 28'

Postby Klm33333 » July 31st, 2021, 7:40 pm

Just in addition to this good conversation. I have a Carver Riviera 2807 (1987) and the marina put the boat away for the winter without winterizing the engines. About 10 years ago. Obviously, this ruined the engines. When the engines were removed rotten and since the engines were out . I had the stringers replaced from bulkhead to bulkhead. The problem with the stringers was a drain hole aft of the forward bulkhead that was not sealed, therefore allowing water to enter the stringer for 20 years and ruin it. Had it fixed right, put new engines in the boat (after a lawsuit with the marina was successfully settled) and won't have a another problem with this boat as long as I am alive. Fix it right and be done with it. Requires both engines be removed. Good luck

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » August 1st, 2021, 11:23 pm

What is the Carver stringer history? I have a '92 350 AC with hollow (Top Hat?) stringers. When were these introduced?

TIA for this info.

Phil Little

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”