Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Leak in fresh water line under sink in the galley

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Leak in fresh water line under sink in the galley

Postby Viper » March 31st, 2021, 8:39 pm

You can buy those scopes cheap on Amazon. They're a good tool to have for seeing into spots you can't get your head into.

Keep us posted Philly

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Postby RGrew176 » April 1st, 2021, 8:50 am

Good luck finding the source of the leak. Please post the results here so we all can learn from your experience.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 1st, 2021, 11:26 am

Welcome .....a friend had that grey tubing, he had a leak much like yours with the sound, couldn't seem to find it.....finally with a real bright light he noticed a wet spot on the hull side.....he had an extremely small split that was spraying.....he cut it at the split and put a connector there until he could replace the tubing and fittings in that area........good luck with your search.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » April 1st, 2021, 4:10 pm

Also, if you do have that Quest piping (the grey plastic) then start thinking about replacing it all with PEX. You can fix the current leak and be OK for a while, but you will have more leaks. If you make a project out of it and replace it, you can do it on your own schedule (best off season!) rather have having to fix nuisance leaks.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 2nd, 2021, 11:21 am

I agree, replace sections of the QEST hardware as you go. Trying to do it all at once might be a daunting task so I would tackle one section at a time over the next few seasons. There are adapter fittings available that will allow you to tie the new hardware to the old until it's all replaced.

I have the same stuff but have been lucky so far, slowly replacing it though. Truthfully it hasn't really been a big problem on boats I've worked on over the years. I've actually had more calls to repair newer quick-connect fittings than the QEST stuff. There have been major failures recorded though and is why they were banned from residential construction.

Topic author United States of America
4207Carver88
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 4207 Aft

Postby 4207Carver88 » April 2nd, 2021, 11:29 am

Really appreciate all the insight here! extremely helpful!
I'll keep you posted on how it all goes. Should be a fun project for Easter weekend!
Thanks Again

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » April 2nd, 2021, 11:44 am

You shouldn't have a problem accessing the hardware in that huge engine compartment. Love that feature of the 4207 :down:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”