Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel tank leaking

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fuel tank leaking

Postby Viper » April 4th, 2021, 6:35 pm

You don't know what you don't know. That's what's dangerous!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 4th, 2021, 9:59 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post My best advice for anyone confronted with this that has no working safety experience with gasoline tanks .....leave the removal to the pros

Guys I stand by my advice, it is all in that first line and said that for a reason, if you have to ask how then working with gas tanks/fuel leaks etc in confined spaces is not something you should be doing period. I care about peoples safety not their inconvenience or wallets. Remember this forum is read by boaters across the world.

Sure if you have experience and have had multiple boats over the years then all are free to do anything, but for new boaters that may have just started ( this year especially ) with zero experience trying to explain how to do that safely is impossible and could lead to a disaster.

I hear ya and agree that it is hard to find good help but this is way more than changing out a water pump etc.

Stay safe.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Flippenout
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1978 Carver 25.5 ft Santa Cruz cabin cruiser. Duel helm.

Postby Flippenout » April 8th, 2021, 5:14 am

Ya it could be very dangerous, messing with electricity and gas.. :banghead: my friend was welding his problem on his gas tank and he used his water hose filled it with water drained it and let it set for couple of weeks. After two weeks of airing it out he put a mig welder on it to plug the holes and it blew up from a square gas tank to a round marshmellow, he's lucky son of a bitch, I've ever meet. Corison on the out side it's for sure on the inside,. Gas makes pockets in the aluminum, when mig weld penetrated aluminum, since it's a hole he was doing.boom.
I have the same problem as you, filled gas tank with water, plugged the holes up for intake and Return lines. So it's full of water after two months cut bottom off bought a new peice of aluminum. Weld a new peice on. It cost 146 dollars for 4 by 4 3/8 thick and welder took 2 hours charged me 300 bucks. It's fixed and I'm out 450 and I'm alive to tell about it

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » May 23rd, 2021, 11:41 pm

First thing to check is the cork gasket under the sender flange, on the tank top. These will not leak until you fill complete, and then fuel will pour out. A new gasket, permatex no. 3, will fix it.

Happened to me in my 25' Santa cruz. The tank itself is supported off the bottom so corrosion leakage is unlikely (but not impossible).

Check the sender gasket.

Phil Little.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”