Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

prop size question

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
megbert
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1997 Voyager320 - purchased in 10/15

prop size question

Postby megbert » April 5th, 2021, 9:12 pm

I have a 32' voyager, twin 350 crusaders that hit WOT at 4200-4300, cruises ok at 3600 but likes 3800 the best at about 18 knots. OEM says 18x18, but on the boat for the 5 years I have owned her are 18x19. However, in a box when I bought the boat are 18x21, wondering why and how would the boat perform with those on? Im ok with overall performance, would like to see it get on plan sooner, but thinking these would not help. Thoughts?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: prop size question

Postby bud37 » April 5th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Heh there...a good prop shop should have a calculator to help you tune your set up but if you want to get on plane sooner the lower pitch would be the direction to go in. IMO if you were to go with the 21" you may have trouble getting it on plane but would increase your low rpm hull speed.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » April 7th, 2021, 7:55 pm

You are slightly over propped with the 18 x 19. 18 x 18 would probably be a better fit. 18 x 21 would definitely be over propping and not a good idea. Personally, I would like to see an extra 100-200 RPM’s at WOT.

BTW, 18 x 18 will get you to plane just a tad quicker.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 8th, 2021, 6:30 am

The correct prop is the one that will allow your boat to achieve close to, or the figures stated for WOT. My engines are rated @ 3500 RPM, I am able to achieve 3550 RPM. This is a good thing knowing the boat fully loaded is not stressing the engines due to oversized props.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 8th, 2021, 7:07 am

You're right Hans. You must take the engine manufacturer's rated WOT spec for a given engine model into consideration. You can play with prop specs to improve an area of the performance curve based on your boating needs as long as you stay close to that WOT spec. Providing the engine is tuned properly, bottom is clean, boat not overloaded, etc., not reaching the WOT spec indicates you're over-propped and overworking the engine. Exceeding the WOT spec means you're under-propped and causing an engine overspeed condition which is not good either.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”