Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Generator Hydro Lock Help

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Generator Hydro Lock Help

Postby Midnightsun » April 24th, 2021, 12:14 pm

The owner of my previous boat is having issues with the generator hydro locking every now and then and would like some suggestions on how to eliminate this issue. Seems to happen mostly when anchored out in rough conditions which I assume forces water into the hull exhaust outlet.

The generator was installed by yours truly when I owned the boat. I used the typical wet muffler setup, a Gensep made by Centek to keep exhaust noise to a minimum. I did install the vented loop/siphon break however I am now questioning this as it may not be working as intended all the time. It did happen to me only on 2 occasions when I owned the boat over a period of several years.

For those not familiar with a Gensep unit, it divides the exhaust into 2. An under water outlet for the water and an above water outlet for the fumes. All you here is a slight his from the exhaust, no more burbling noises typical of almost all marine generators. I call it the sailboat burble. :-D

Generator is a Kohler 5E carbed unit with sound shield installed in the location meant for this on the particular boat in question. In fact there was a tray installed at the factory just waiting for a generator. :down:

What causes water to enter the engine from the exhaust and how does one prevent this? Any and all suggestions more than welcome.

Still have pictures. :-D

Last edited by Midnightsun on April 24th, 2021, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Generator Hydro Lock Help

Postby bud37 » April 24th, 2021, 1:06 pm

Heh there....on the install, I believe there is a required min height above water level ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 24th, 2021, 1:37 pm

bud37 wrote:Source of the post Heh there....on the install, I believe there is a required min height above water level ?

I should be good since it is installed where it goes from the factory. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 24th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Sorry Hans,I am referring to the gen sep itself not the generator.

Viper should be along soon, he will have some ideas.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 24th, 2021, 3:06 pm

I did get the gensep up as high as I could with the space that was available.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 370 Voyager

Postby Dewmyster » April 24th, 2021, 7:23 pm

When I did a similar screwup with my 6.5 I learned quickly to insure the seacock was shut until the Genny started. It is a PIA but if you continue to crank it over the muffler water will back up into the exhaust port.
:usa:

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 24th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Hans, I assume you have continuous down hill flow from the genny to the muffler?
And the highest outlet of the gensep is lower than the exhaust outlet of the genny?

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » April 24th, 2021, 8:33 pm

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post Hans, I assume you have continuous down hill flow from the genny to the muffler?
And the highest outlet of the gensep is lower than the exhaust outlet of the genny?

Yes on both counts.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » April 24th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Other than that, I don't think i can be of much help.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » April 25th, 2021, 10:31 am

All the above considerations are good ones. There's a few things that can contribute to water ingestion, providing it was properly installed, Dewmyster brings up a good point, if she has to crank for a while to start, she can ingest water that's being injected into the exhaust. You said that you installed the Gensep as high as you could but is the height to spec? Is the lift muffler where it's supposed to be? Is the generator running properly and properly tuned and timed? Other possibilities are; running too hot, bad head gasket, bad exhaust manifold. If water is getting in through the hull's exhaust discharge port, a shutter there would help or an inline shutter/check valve close to the genny would work too. Maybe KeithS will have insight on ingestion issues with this particular model.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”