Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Flying colors or colours

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Flying colors or colours

Postby Phrancus » April 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Have to replace some parts of the interior of our 1992 26 / 28 sedan it's a kind of vinyl with foam backing. I found something similar but would anybody know what the color tint is? Is it simply off-white. We have universal color codes (RAL) here but if anyone has the US equivalent of that it may help me get a product that matches.

The biggest part is in the head so a difference is no big deal there as I pretty much replace a complete wall. But also have to replace some damaged or missing parts elsewhere and then the match is more important.

Similar question to the polyester outside. After removing a layer of dirt/oxydation it comes out white but not blistering white, some off-white. Any pointers appreciated.

Finally the wooly material elsewhere inside: took a part off that was glued to thin hardboard that rotted away. Got it a few tints lighter after soaking in some soaps but can't do that inside the boat. Any tips on how to clean this material?
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Great Britain
PossiblyPaul
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Hornbill III
1988 Carver 2827 Voyager,Volvo Penta TAMD31 engines.
Ardglass Marina, County Down

Re: Flying colors or colours

Postby PossiblyPaul » April 25th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Good luck with that; it's quite likely that the material has changed colour to the extent that an original match is no longer applicable anyway. I've done some of the same thing on my '88 2827, and on the painted bulkhead outside in the cockpit, but haven't tried to get an exact match (my 'white' is as white as I can find). The shade of gelcoat has certainly been changed over the years, and I've had to blend and disguise as well as possible. On the fabric material inside, I'm pleasantly surprised at how it's stood up to so many years of changeable conditions, although in places there's been a bit of shrinking. Where there's been severe ageing (on the dashboard over the frontage in the cabin, seat cushions, etc ) I've simply replaced to a material of my own choice. Not the answer you were hoping for, I admit, but satisfactory if you're happy with your own interpretation of the way it should be.
Funga Safari

Topic author Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » April 26th, 2021, 1:36 am

Not a problem, thank you for your reply. It will be solved in the end, just sometimes it saves a lot of figuring out time when there is some information to start with. The gelcoat repair can be tinted but that's quite an excercise in patience, time and money to get it right.

She doesn't have to become as new. Just don't want it to look tired and worn down with too many traces of neglect.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » April 26th, 2021, 8:01 am

Yes white....so many different shades of white that it is one of the hardest colours/colors to get a match for, especially after some fading..... :-D
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”