Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fault code 6.4 Fault in Multi-Station unit

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
kkochner
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse

Fault code 6.4 Fault in Multi-Station unit

Postby kkochner » May 5th, 2021, 11:36 am

I was getting this 6.4 code on my EDC control panel for the starboard engine. My neutral green light would not come on but the yellow diagnostic button would flash that code and the starboard engine would start.

However after running for a few minutes the engine would idle up to 1000rpm which I know is the “safe mode” and is caused by the engine losing communication/signal with my starboard flybridge controls. So I turned it off.

In my owners manual the cause for that 6.4 code is faulty values from pontentiometers, controls not calibrated, communication faults.

Since my neutral light wasn’t coming on I decided to clean the connections in the plug behind the dash. Tried things again and the neutral green light came on and the engine started but then idled up to 1000rpms again. So I turned it off.

Now the starboard engine won’t start at all and I get nothing when trying to start the starboard engine...when I turn the key push activate and turn to start nothing happens now...no yellow or green lights come on. I hard wired the neutral feed to make sure it wasn’t the plug connections but still got nothing. (Did the same thing on the port side and that engine is staring just fine).

I tried staring in the Pilothouse and the same thing is happening down there. So I am at a lose as to where to investigate next!

Does anyone have and experience or advise for this? Thanks so much!
1998 Carver 530 Voyager Pilothouse
Volvo D-12 Diesel Engines
Port of Tulsa OK

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Fault code 6.4 Fault in Multi-Station unit

Postby Viper » May 5th, 2021, 12:28 pm

They are finicky for proper system voltage so that would be the first place to start, check your batteries. Then as you've already started doing, check all your plugs, battery connections, etc. for poor connections. Short of that I wouldn't speculate without getting the Volvo diagnostic tool on it, especially if you're getting a pot fault from the remote.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”