Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Bilge pump hose replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1990 Santego 3467
Twin 454 Crusaders

Bilge pump hose replacement

Postby BarryK » May 17th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Hi all,

While cleaning out my center bilge pump on my 3467 the hose cracked in several places (30+ year old plastic). The hose seems to be attached to a stringer by straps in an unaccessible location, under plywood beneath the couch. I tried passing a snake but could not get it to go all the way through. I looked with an inspection camera and could only get limited visualization. My friend said I should cut an inspection hole in the plywood, large enough to get a hand inside.

The hose to be replaced is the middle one in the picture.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Barry
Bilge hose 1.jpg
Bilge hose 2.jpg
Bilge hose 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Bilge pump hose replacement

Postby Viper » May 17th, 2021, 12:59 pm

May seem like a silly question but can you not remove those plywood panels by unscrewing them?

BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » May 17th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Not silly at all. I thought that they were glued, but worth a shot removing the screws to see if I can move them!

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » May 17th, 2021, 2:37 pm

I dismantled half the bow interior simply by unscrewing a million screws. No glue or resin/epoxy anywhere. Worth a try.

If all else fails you might be able to shove a smaller diameter and smoother hose through the current one. Use a heat blower to soften it for the short curves at the end and to make it fit the thru-hull
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » May 17th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Those screws are coming out tomorrow!

The smaller hose is a great idea!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 17th, 2021, 8:27 pm

The smaller hose should be your last resort. It will drastically reduce your pump's discharge rating.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » May 21st, 2021, 1:23 am

good call, forgot to mention that. There's not very much pressure build up by high volume pumps.

Replacing it with a stronger one is a different story as you'll need more electric power and such pumps need cleaner water.

If it's more for mishaps (shower overflow, dripping window seal) than for emergency (cooling hose breach) to prevent sinking. You mention the center bilge so I suppose that is a high priority pump.
You might want to add another one if you need to restrict the flow. Although that would upsize the project to another hose to new outlet which in turn would allow to reconsider and keep the current pump with a new outlet :-P
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

BarryK
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Twin 454 Crusaders

Postby BarryK » May 31st, 2021, 2:34 am

So, I was able to remove one of the boards when I finally located all of the screws! Some were well hidden.

IMG_7003.jpg

There were 3 zip ties in there holding the hose:

IMG_7005.jpg

The hose still would not come out. There is another larger board that I could not remove. I drilled a couple of small holes for my inspection scope and found out where to drill a large hole for an inspection plate. I bought a 4.5" hole saw and that matched up perfectly with a 4" inspection plate housing. There was 1 more zip tie in that compartment. When I cut that one, the hose was free.

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg

It's pretty tight working in there!

IMG_2248.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendation to remove the screws!!

I put in a 3/4" hose temporarily from the hardware store. I will order a new 1 1/8" hose . The one that broke was Shields 120 bilge hose. I think I will replace it with the Shields 141 multiflex. Any recommendations on the type of hose?

Thanks,
Barry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » May 31st, 2021, 7:01 am

Good job :down:

The 120 is a good choice. It can be a pain to work with though especially in applications where you need to remove the hose often such as winterizing up north but that won't be an issue in this particular application until the pump fails. A little heat helps with install and removal.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 31st, 2021, 11:25 am

Great update and nice work!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”