Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

City water pressure

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: City water pressure

Postby km1125 » May 23rd, 2021, 9:07 am

My boat's screens would get clogged like that too, with those same tiny white plastic particles. Never did find out where they were coming from.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 23rd, 2021, 9:07 am

My boat's screens would get clogged like that too, with those same tiny white plastic particles. Never did find out where they were coming from.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 23rd, 2021, 9:21 am

A lot of what collects in the screens comes from the hot water heater, just byproducts of the water, solids collecting on the heating element, etc. I think it's lime that deposits when heated, just like you get in a coffee maker, steamer, etc.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 23rd, 2021, 10:04 am

Viper wrote:Source of the post A lot of what collects in the screens comes from the hot water heater, just byproducts of the water, solids collecting on the heating element, etc. I think it's lime that deposits when heated, just like you get in a coffee maker, steamer, etc.

This is why I changed my water heater. When I came to empty the tank for winterization, nothing came out with the valve open. Thing was full of contamination, minerals and oxidations particles from deterioration the aluminum tanks we all have. Now have a small filter outboard of the water heater which will visually show if there is something happening in there not to mention I also installed an anode in the tank.

Here is the thread. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3660&hilit=woes+heater
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 23rd, 2021, 10:22 am

Could have been something as simple as very hard water, lots of marinas on wells......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 23rd, 2021, 10:26 am

I always remove the faucet screens and clean them when I Spring commission water systems. Doing that once a year seems to be enough to maintain full flow. The sediment in the water heater doesn't get disturbed too much throughout the season, it's when you first fill the tank in the Spring that causes the most disruption of what's left in there after emptying the tank in the winter that causes the screens to fill up because you basically turn on your faucets right away to commission the water system. You typically open at least a hot water faucet to release pressure which allows the heater tank to fill up. The rush of water into the tank stirs up the particles and puts them into suspension and because you've opened a faucet right away, the particles spread throughout the system. This is why you might get full flow before winterizing but suddenly have no flow at or shortly after commissioning time.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » May 23rd, 2021, 3:09 pm

Seems to me 2 things for this type of deposit. Well water is used here, very hard water. Also could be the water heater as Hans said. When I winterized the system, the flow out of the tank was good. Either way, I got fooled on this one since both were clogged. Well, I got to examine more parts, discover a lot more of the boat. For that I am extremely happy. I know next time, experience.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 23rd, 2021, 10:52 pm

I only turn on my water heater about 20 minutes before I need hot water. This helps to keep the calcium, etc, from cooking out of the water, and caking on the element.

Topic author Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Postby pepmyster » May 24th, 2021, 7:56 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I only turn on my water heater about 20 minutes before I need hot water. This helps to keep the calcium, etc, from cooking out of the water, and caking on the element.

When we arrive at the boat, I turn on the water heater, and when we leave, we turn it off. Same with the valve for the city water.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 24th, 2021, 8:54 am

pepmyster wrote:Source of the post
tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I only turn on my water heater about 20 minutes before I need hot water. This helps to keep the calcium, etc, from cooking out of the water, and caking on the element.

When we arrive at the boat, I turn on the water heater, and when we leave, we turn it off. Same with the valve for the city water.

Same here. I think that's one reason why my heater lasted at least 38 years (it's original and is still going).

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”