Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

356 AC trim tab question

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 356 AC trim tab question

Postby bud37 » May 25th, 2021, 10:33 am

V12diablo wrote:Source of the post So the reservoir was empty,almost completely. There looked to be a small amount of fluid in the bilge, but not much. Is it common for the fluid to leak. I cleaned everything, cycled the tabs several times and did not see any fluid leaks.

Jason

Have a real good look and check on the outside of the boat to make sure all is clean and dry....nowadays it is possible in some areas to get a pollution fine if fluid discharges into a waterway.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
V12diablo
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2001 Carver 356 Aft Cabin

Postby V12diablo » May 29th, 2021, 9:45 pm

I haven’t seen any signs of oil outside the boat. I will check the fluid level and lines for leaks again , as I have run the boat some now.

Jason

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 30th, 2021, 9:09 am

Put some oil-absorbent mat under the pump and reservoir, fill the tank or mark where the level is, then after you've gone on a couple cruises with the tabs deployed then check the levels again. Stick a piece of tape on the tank and mark exactly where the level is when stationary. Then you can tell -for sure- if it's changing on subsequent checks.

It takes very little pressure to deploy the tabs at the dock, so you might not see a leak outside (or even inside) unless it's pretty bad. Once you get on plane and there's water pressure under the tabs, the hydraulic fluid pressure rises pretty good and any small leak will make it evident. Either you'll lose some into the bilge, or you'll lose some out into the lake.

One way to simulate higher pressure at the dock is to hold the button down for a few second after they're fully deployed. You should only do one at a time because there might not be enough fluid in the reservoir to fully deploy both and still have enough for more pressure at the end of the stroke.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”