Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

406 Aux fuel tank access

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
pondering50
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

406 Aux fuel tank access

Postby pondering50 » June 24th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Hello Group,

I have a new-to-us 2000 Carver 406. I am trying to find location and access to Aux fuel tank. Per Carver book, I have 3 tanks for my diesel engines. AUX -= 146 us gallons and 2 each saddle tanks at 99 us gallons. I am needing to access Aux fuel tank, anybody know how to do this. Fuel gauge is always ready empty..

Also if anyone had done something different to monitor fuel usage would be interested in what you did. Seen a few things out there on market place but would greatly appreciate hearing from someone who installed some type of fuel monitoring system

Thanks
MT

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: 406 Aux fuel tank access

Postby buster53 » June 24th, 2021, 11:09 pm

Ok, I’m only guessing here…
Your 406 looks to be very similar to my 356. That being said, my aux tank is located inside the swim platform. I can access mine by removing the night stand next to the aft berth. I’m sure both models are assembled differently, so you just need to figure yours out. Once you can access it, you should be able to replace the sending unit.
Just making sure…you should have 2 fuel gauges at the helm. One for the saddle tanks and you turn a switch one way or the other to show you one or the other tank. The aft tank has its own gauge and you also have to turn the the aft tank switch to activate it. Unless you turn that switch, it will always show empty.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 25th, 2021, 10:35 am

buster53 wrote:Source of the post ....One for the saddle tanks and you turn a switch one way or the other to show you one or the other tank. The aft tank has its own gauge and you also have to turn the the aft tank switch to activate it. Unless you turn that switch, it will always show empty.

I like that arrangement (requiring you to push a switch to see tank levels), as a quick glance at the fuel would result in a "oh &^%$, I'm out of fuel!", and then realizing you have to hit a switch to see the actual level, rather than seeing a "mostly full" fuel level and not realizing you're still running on a tank that's about to run dry. :-D

Topic author United States of America
pondering50
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby pondering50 » June 25th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Thanks Buster.... I have now found the Aux fuel tank, thanks to your email. Slightly different on 406, but your email got me looking in the right area.. Access for checking switch sucks but think maybe doable...

Thank you very much..

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » June 25th, 2021, 3:56 pm

pondering50 wrote:Thanks Buster.... I have now found the Aux fuel tank, thanks to your email. Slightly different on 406, but your email got me looking in the right area.. Access for checking switch sucks but think maybe doable...

Thank you very much..

Are you ok with the switch on your dashboard?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”