Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Need help! I’m stuck and boat overheating can’t figure out why

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Re: Need help! I’m stuck and boat overheating can’t figure out why

Postby Tireless » July 12th, 2021, 12:04 pm

I am not sure if you have strainers, you may not. Have you checked the water flow from the thru hull to the back of the impeller?

If not, I recommend closing the ball valve at the thru hull and remove remove the hose from the back of the impeller. Get a spotter and have them help you. Open the ball valve to allow water through the ball valve while you watch the strength of the flow of water from the hose. Keep your hand on the ball valve so you can shut it if the water flow is high.

If you have some form of blockage, your water flow from the hoses may be reduced or it may flush what is blocking it.

I did this to determine that my intake for my A/C pump was blocked.

I say this, assuming you have checked for all other water flow issues that have been mentioned previous.

Greg

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » July 20th, 2021, 9:46 pm

I was watching a youtube video about removing and replacing manifolds and risers, this one in particular:

And around the 10 minute mark he mentions how crappola in the riser cooling caused his boat to overheat at the dock but be fine with the increased pressure of running.

Might this win the big prize?
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

Sweden
Torsson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 28 Voyager 1988 Twin 350 Crusaders

Postby Torsson » July 28th, 2021, 3:53 pm

Does the Transmission cooler sit right after the seawater filter?. My filter is quite large (Origninal i think?) and stuff gets stuck in the small pipes in the transmission cooler. Turn of the valve from the seawater intake, take of the transmission coolers and take a good look and make sure the small brass/copper tubes are clear. And make sure the seawater filterbox is not leaking or taking in air as mentioned by km1125

Sweden
Torsson
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 28 Voyager 1988 Twin 350 Crusaders

Postby Torsson » July 28th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Ops double post. something wrong with the site or my internet.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”