Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Need help! I’m stuck and boat overheating can’t figure out why

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Iwantacarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Re: Need help! I’m stuck and boat overheating can’t figure out why

Postby Iwantacarver » July 10th, 2021, 11:45 am

Nope. Just randomly.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 10th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Just an observation: I see some irritation growing in the questions asked by knowledgeable people of this forum who are not getting the information they need. They are voluntarily trying to form a wider picture of cause and effect.

I kindly advise you to invest a bit of typing and answer elaborately instead of one liners.

Do not expect helpers to dig trough all threads and posts for information to help you with your problem. I remember a post with engine hours, perhaps a good idea to write up a list of all details. Some people here know more than you can ask for, give them details and they come up with tips no one thought of when this thread started.

I do not intend to be rude, I do intend to be clear. We all want to help you find the solution that helps you fix your troubles. For that details are needed.
We cannot, however, solve the problem for you.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » July 11th, 2021, 9:42 am

Another perspective. Sometimes, when impellers are replaced, they can be put in with the wrong bend direction. If they are tested right away, and they were lubricated at installation, they normally correct themselves. If they were not tested, not lubricated, and sat for a while before start up, they can break a fin or cause weak impeller issues. I had that happen to me, accept the impeller completely failed. Probably on fin broke and took out all the rest. Point being, although the impellers are new, they still should be checked for condition. Maybe one of the impellers had a defect as new, that happens also. The inspection for the housing, as Viper suggested, is also important. My last replacement showed a scoring in the Crusader housing, so my mechanic machined the housing smooth. Cooling issues are really frustrating. Finally, is the water depth in your slip at least 6 or 7 feet? Do you have some weed growth, or sludge on the bottom of the slip space? 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Topic author Canada
Iwantacarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Iwantacarver » July 11th, 2021, 9:46 am

It’s 30 feet at the dock. Deep.

I drove through many weeds though when I first got it

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » July 11th, 2021, 12:29 pm

aha! there's a clue.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » July 12th, 2021, 8:27 am

Maybe a back flush would be a good idea. Very easy to do, just don't get carried away with water pressure, and flush into a pail so you can see if anything flushes out. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Topic author Canada
Iwantacarver
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Iwantacarver » July 12th, 2021, 8:31 am

How do you do that

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 12th, 2021, 10:10 am

Cooler wrote:Source of the post ....although the impellers are new, they still should be checked for condition. Maybe one of the impellers had a defect as new, that happens also. ...

...or maybe even the wrong model impeller? Wonder if the OP double-checked that?

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » July 12th, 2021, 10:38 am

Take the hose off the inlet side of the T-stat housing. Remove the hose off the outlet side of your water pump. Some water will drain out of that hose, so be ready with your bucket at hose by water pump. Inspect for any sand, foliage, impeller parts, etc. Take a water hose from the dock, and spray into the inlet hose of the t-stat location. USE LIGHT PRESSURE ONLY! Water and debris will exit from hose at water pump. Or, it will just be clear water. Flush until it is clear water. Connect the water pump outlet hose, fill the t-stat housing hose with water, and re-connect that. Any debris in your pail will be the stuff that was clogging up the screens in your cooling system. Viper - if you think this is a bad idea, please advise. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Twin 350XL Crusaders

Postby Cooler » July 12th, 2021, 10:40 am

Also makes me think about T-stat condition. If those are old, they may be the bowl style, and plug themselves up with rust. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”