Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Priming AC water pump

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Priming AC water pump

Postby km1125 » July 18th, 2021, 11:25 am

kclife wrote:Source of the post
Also, can anyone confirm the AC discharge is the far left discharge with the stain in this photo?

A lot of times it's the condensate drain that gets the stains, because there's some rusting going on in the bottom of the pan below the A/C unit. You don't want to squirt water back into that if it is indeed the condensate drain. Sometimes the condensate drains into the shower sump, which then gets pumped overboard and causes a similar stain. You also don't want to squirt water back into that drain either. You can run the shower and see where that water gets pumped out to determine which thru-hull serves which purpose.

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Postby Rocketman » July 19th, 2021, 7:40 am

I personally loosen the output hose from the pump to let the air out when the pump is running. As soon as you get water flow tighten back up. Sometimes you can run the boat at about 15 mph or more and the water pressure pushing water up will prime it as well.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 20th, 2021, 8:56 am

I installed a tee and a valve in my discharge line. Crack the valve until you get water and then close it. Good to go. Also helps to winterize.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » July 20th, 2021, 11:38 am

tomschauer wrote:Source of the post I installed a tee and a valve in my discharge line. Crack the valve until you get water and then close it. Good to go. Also helps to winterize.

If this happened frequently you could put that "T" in and a 12V water valve with the output plumbed over the side somewhere. Add a push-button switch to activate the water valve to 'purge' air. The overboard line is really just in case there are any leaks when the valve isn't activated.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 20th, 2021, 12:21 pm

Still am pretty sure if you inspect the lines and look for a rise in the hose between the filter and pump where air could get trapped you will correct the priming issue. Bottom line is if water can naturally get to the pump then you do not need to prime. Think of the water intake and the line from there as just an open line as this is essentially what it is. Water will flow naturally from the inlet until it reaches the point in the system where the line is higher than the water level. As long as the pump is flooded then it will operate normally.

If you simply cannot figure this out or do not want to, a simple t connection from your potable water line with an in-line valve will do the trick. Just open the valve and a rush of water will be supplied. Close the valve and you are good to go. Only thing to remember is you do need to have your water pump on when doing this.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » July 20th, 2021, 12:47 pm

For me, it only happens once per year. The pump will not push the air out of the system until it develops full flow. It takes a few seconds with the valve open to purge the air from the strainer to the pump outlet.

Topic author United States of America
kclife
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2002 Carver 356 Aft

Postby kclife » July 20th, 2021, 1:34 pm

OK so we unscrewed the pump from the mount and lowered it below the filter and it was able to fill up the water pump and re-prime the system. Thanks for everyone’s help-all systems go for now! We plan on remounting the water pump so it is lower than the filter to avoid losing prime in the future when we clean the filter.
2002 Carver 356 aft

Newbie to boating! Trying to live my best life now.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”