Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

396 aft holding tank and lines

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
geoles297
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 396 aft

396 aft holding tank and lines

Postby geoles297 » December 1st, 2013, 6:35 am

Can someone share with me the best way to access the lines under the aft cabin floor to service or replace septic lines. We are at a loss to find where smells are coming from. The vac flush in the forward cabin is fine but the conventional toilet in aft is a problem. Other wise the 396 is a great boat. Thanks George

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Re: 396 aft holding tank and lines

Postby AaHubb » December 1st, 2013, 10:07 am

On my 404 there are access panels under the carpet in the aft cabin. Only part of the carpet is glued down, the rest can be pulled back to gain access to the floor panels.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Topic author
geoles297
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 396 aft

Postby geoles297 » December 6th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Thanks it does seam all the carpet is glued down

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Postby DanM » January 17th, 2014, 4:11 pm

I replaced my waste lines a few years ago. The previous owner did not empty and flush the tanks as often as they should have been. Once the hoses start to leach you cannot remove the odor unless you change them.The connection between the aft head toilet and the Vacuflush pump runs at the forward end of the aft stateroom and appears to be PVC so changing it is not usually required unless it is cracked. The pump hose connection to the port side of that PVC pipe is forward of the port muffler. You get to it from the head of the bed. It was the meanest part of all of the hose changes since you are on your belly leaning as far in as you can, hoping to be able to reach. I heated the hose with a hair dryer and used dish soap to help ease it on. Don't use a heat gun as you can damage the coating. The job would not be so bad if the waste hoses were not heavily coated and stiff but that keeps the odors contained. You need to also make sure the relief diaphragm on the top of the tank is clean and seats well and the foam cover is cleaned and odor free. Lastly check the connection between the hoses and the tank vent filter to make sure they are snug. A loose fitting (or one with a bad gasket) will allow the gasses to escape into the room. If the vent filter has gotten wet due to an over full tank or during the flushing process you may need to change it. They recommend you change them every season. I make my own for about $20 each rather than pay the $115 at the store.

Good luck,

Dan
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

Tx5311
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 carver 396

Postby Tx5311 » December 28th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Dan M. I am hoping you will see this and be able to help us. We bought a 2003 Carver 396 MY last year. We are new to this size of boat and to Carver. We are still trying to figure out a number of things. In your post from Jan 17, 2014 you talk about the aft tank relief diaphragm and the foam cover. When we take the foam insert off the top of the tank we see straight through to the tank. Is this normal or is there more to the "relief diaphragm. We noticed foul orders when the head is flushed.

We assume the aft tank is vented to the outside but we cannot locate that vent. Any suggestions? We have looked at the parts manual online without success.

Regards,

Deb and Mark

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » December 29th, 2016, 10:20 am

Welcome to the forum..........I believe you may be talking about the tank relief valve....they can be replaced....google ,dometic tank saver relief valve ...I think that will explain everything for you...it is a vacuum breaker...... :beergood:

http://www.marinesan.com/TankSaver-Reli ... 255247.htm
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
DanM
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 396

Postby DanM » December 29th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Bud37 has got it right. If the diaphragm under the foam is missing it must have fallen into the tank since it is on the underside of the valve. Make sure you retrieve it before you put the new valve in. It could get sucked up into the discharge line during a pump out which will create much greater headaches.

Good luck
Dan

Carver 396
SugarSand Tango

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 29th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Tx5311 wrote:Source of the post....When we take the foam insert off the top of the tank we see straight through to the tank. Is this normal......

You should not be able to look into it and see the inside of the tank if you're looking into the relief valve unless you removed the valve itself. It's a two piece unit; the tank flange and the valve body that is pushed into the flange. The valve body contains a few parts. Here is an example of the two pieces:
http://www.ardemco.com/accessories/sealand-dometic-313255247-tanksaver-holding-tank-relief-valve/

If the valve is worn, you will get odors in the cabin.

Tx5311
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 carver 396

Postby Tx5311 » December 29th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Thanks everyone! This info is very helpful. We will check it out.

United States of America
mjk1040
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1998 355 AC/MY "Deja Vu"

Postby mjk1040 » December 29th, 2016, 8:23 pm

geoles297, Also check that the shower sump isn't the cause of your aft cabin smell. If you use the aft shower sometimes, standing water in the shower sump will begin to smell, the sump box is not sealed. Mike
Mike :down:
I'd Rather Be Boating!
1989 Sea Ray Seville
1986 Carver Mariner 32'
1990's Thompson 22' Cuddy Cabin
1990's 4Winns 245 Vista Cruiser
1980's Thompson 19' Open Bow

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”