Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prop shaft removal.

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
wingnut
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 325

Prop shaft removal.

Postby wingnut » September 25th, 2021, 9:04 pm

My boat was just hauled out for winter, now up on blocks till spring. I need to pull my port prop shaft to address a vibration. I am not quite able to slide it all the way aft, clearing the strut/cutlass bearing before that aft end of the shaft hits the pavement. Is it OK to remove the strut to gain the clearance I need? If so, is there anything I should now about the removal and subsequent remounting of a prop shaft strut?
Carver 325

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Prop shaft removal.

Postby bud37 » September 26th, 2021, 7:52 am

Welcome......could you get the yard to lift the boat higher while you pull the shaft or if gravel just dig a hole. Seems simplistic, maybe you have already considered this.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

wingnut
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby wingnut » September 26th, 2021, 8:51 am

Great questions! And thank you for your response.
Another boat has been blocked in-front of my boat. So, would require having them move that boat, then lift mine, and/or re-stack the boats. I would again have the same problem when it is time to reinstall the shaft. The boats are on a paved surface. Although, I did consider cutting a slot in the pavement to slide the shaft out, I quickly knew that was the wrong thing to do.
I have easy access to the nuts and back plate from the inside of the boat. Just not sure if removing the strut was sound thinking.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

Welcome aboard.

Sounds like you don't have much of a choice but to remove the strut. Why are you removing the shaft, did you confirm it's bent, did you have it dialed already? Has the prop been tuned already to eliminate it as a possibility? While the boat was in the water, did you have the engine alignment checked? Was there an impact?

wingnut
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby wingnut » September 26th, 2021, 9:51 am

I have been chasing a vibration and obvious wobble you can see as it goes through the shaft log. Props have been worked, and I had an experienced mechanic align the engine. This shaft had some work done to it 10-ish years ago, and it has seemed I have been chasing issues on that side for quite a while. The same mechanic that did the alignment believes the shaft is bent. I welcome any thoughts, questions, or direction.

wingnut
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby wingnut » September 26th, 2021, 9:54 am

I should have added...
The cutlass bearing is tight, no sign of movement.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 26th, 2021, 11:02 am

The hardest part about removing the strut will be prying it from the hull because of the caulking. Just take your time and pry all around each edge. Before you start, clean the shaft if there is any growth on it. If the strut is countersunk it'll be harder to get tools under it to pry off. You can try using a cutting rope to get under it and cut the caulking but prying will get it off eventually. Applying heat will help, just be careful you don't torch the glass. Depending on the caulking used, don't be surprised if some glass peels off with it. Put something under the strut for support before you unbolt it.

If they straightened the shaft before, sometimes they have a tendency to bounce back over time. If it's bent again, you should consider buying a new shaft. While the strut is off, check the condition of the bearing and replace it if needed. If you've had a vibration for a while, you should consider replacing it now that the strut is off, it'll be easier and the prop shop can do it in minutes.

If you're reinstalling the strut yourself, touch base with us and we can walk you through it if it's something you feel comfortable doing.

wingnut
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby wingnut » September 26th, 2021, 11:46 am

Viper, THANK YOU for your comprehensive response!! This level of detail is so useful.

Assuming I am successful, I do hope to reinstall the strut, along with what I expect will be a new shaft. I was thinking this was the right time to install a new bearing in the strut, too. Thank you for adding your experienced voice to he dialogue.

Most likely, I'll be back with more questions as I move forward.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Take the coupler with you and have the shop reface it and ensure it's a good fit to the shaft as well. If your setup has a nylock nut on the end of the shaft inside the coupler, get a new nut for the install. If you take the prop in at the same time, they can lap the taper to insure the shaft is a good fit in the prop. Inspect the prop nuts in case the threads are in poor shape and replace if needed. Again, if you take them to the shop, they can check them for you on the new shaft.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 26th, 2021, 6:29 pm

I have one more question......when you took the prop off, did it just pop off or did you have to use a puller to get it off.
The reason I ask, viper mentioned having the prop lapped to the shaft properly which is 100 % the way it should be fitted.... just wonder if your prop was on properly perhaps causing some issues. Just something to consider.

Absolutely be wary of a shaft that has been straightened, some have a habit of returning to the way they were especially if there was an impact.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”