Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Stove

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Chona
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3607

Stove

Postby Chona » September 27th, 2021, 11:25 am

Hi everyone I am looking to replace the stove in my 1988 Carver 3607 aft cabin. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking we are in Ontario CA so anything in that area would be great. Thanks.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Re: Stove

Postby buster53 » September 27th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Google the brand you have now. Good chance they are still in business and make the same model or close enough which of course, is the best way to go for best fit.

Just making sure…you do realize you will have to stay with a 120 volt stove as opposed to your typical home unit which is 240 volts.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 27th, 2021, 2:14 pm

Do you use the stove a lot? Are you looking to replace it because it doesn't work or just looking for something different?

You might poke around in the Project forum for threads there. There was one member who replaced his stove with a microwave and then built an enclose to add a toaster/convection oven. I think I would have gone that route if I ever had to replace the Princess we had.

Edit: I poked around a little bit to see if I could find that thread, but didn't (I didn't look that long though)
But I did find this one with a similar issue that you might consider:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5946&p=47277&hilit=toaster#p47277

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » September 29th, 2021, 3:47 pm

I have been looking for a replacement stove for my 1988 as well. Mine came with a Princess 3 burner electric. I have been told, but haven't confirmed, that the Force 10 three burner electric can be sold with a trim kit to fit the exact opening of the Princess.

https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/mobile/?page=shop&category=11377|10360&product=64584857
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 29th, 2021, 4:57 pm

vineyardgray wrote:Source of the post I have been looking for a replacement stove for my 1988 as well. Mine came with a Princess 3 burner electric. I have been told, but haven't confirmed, that the Force 10 three burner electric can be sold with a trim kit to fit the exact opening of the Princess.

https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/mobile/?page=shop&category=11377|10360&product=64584857

That's a nice unit, and I like the ceramic top. It also has the pot holder, which can be necessary if you're not at the dock.

However, I did see this in the spec: " Required Circuit Breaker: 40 Amp"

If your 3 burner Princess was like mine, it was on a 15 or 20 Amp circuit. When the over was being used, you could only use one of the top burners. You would need a circuit upgrade (new wiring too) for that new oven combo, but you'd still be limited by a 30A shore power cord.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » September 29th, 2021, 6:00 pm

You make a good point. Wiring and breaker would need upgrading.

The other limitations are not really too bad in my case - I have a 50a service at my slip, and when at other marinas, my inverter will make up the additional amperage for periodic loads over 30a. This is actually a perfect example of how the system works. :-)
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 29th, 2021, 6:39 pm

vineyardgray wrote:You make a good point. Wiring and breaker would need upgrading.

The other limitations are not really too bad in my case - I have a 50a service at my slip, and when at other marinas, my inverter will make up the additional amperage for periodic loads over 30a. This is actually a perfect example of how the system works. :-)

You might have 50 amp service at your dock, but your boat is only wired for 30 amp. Try to pull more than 30 and you start popping breakers. I’m guessing your boat has 2, 30 amp connections. One for AC service and the other, all other house loads. I’m also guessing your oven is on a 20 amp breaker. My stove/oven, you can only use one or the other, not both. Not even one burner if the oven is on.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » September 29th, 2021, 9:13 pm

I do have 50a coming on the house feed from the pedestal (and another 50a on my air con feed too). She's a 100a vessel :blush:

But if I am on a 30a pedestal for the house loads, and I have a demand over 30a, my inverter will draw power from the battery bank to supplement. Assuming the wiring and breakers are sufficiently sized, of course. Dang fancy tech.
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
mjmason1
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1999 Carver Voyager 530

Postby mjmason1 » October 17th, 2021, 9:24 pm

I had the 3 burner princess stove. The burners shorted out. because nothing on the market would fit in the counter hole, I bought a 2 burner induction stove from Lowes. I had a stainless steel frame made and powder coated black. It looks great and works great. I never use 3 burner at the same time anyways.
IMG_6537 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”