Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

bilge pump float switch

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

bilge pump float switch

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 29th, 2021, 7:58 pm

t in float switch. I bought a bilge pump with a built in switch. I find it woks 97% of the time. There are times it doesnt shut off unless I tap it or jump on the floor. Has anyone added more weight to the float switch? Like drilling a small hole in it, adding some bb's or splt fishing sinkers, then plugging the hole with 4200?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: bilge pump float switch

Postby km1125 » September 29th, 2021, 8:07 pm

You should not have to do that. There's probably something hanging up in the hinging mechanism, perhaps some plastic flashing or something like that.

Canada
vineyardgray
Captain
Captain

Postby vineyardgray » September 29th, 2021, 9:19 pm

I think those mechanical float switches are a royal PITA so I installed electronic switches with no moving parts.

Others have mentioned that they had trouble with those but time will tell. :confused: :-D
M/V Gilded Splinter
1988 Carver
3867 Santego
PCYC

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 29th, 2021, 10:31 pm

Me…I don’t care for the electronic pumps or pumps with built in switches. Give me old style with separate switch. Never had a problem with them.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 30th, 2021, 11:05 am

I think for my peace of mind replacing with bilge pump with separate float switch is pretty cheap insurance
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 30th, 2021, 11:30 am

I agree.
Seems there has been a fair few complaints I have come across about the newer style internal float bilge pumps, especially at the cheaper end of the scale. The thing is, separate float switches can be tested easily ( I like the old methods when it comes to this) unless there is a way to test the internal float types without filling the bilge with water. Perhaps there is but I would not want to find out by getting a call from the marina that the boat seems low in the water...... :-O

Not sure what the solution is here, without buying some of the expensive well made pumps, that said none of them will keep a holed boat from sinking for long.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 30th, 2021, 6:12 pm

What brand and model pump did you get? Some with built-in switches are not good designs IMO. I'll call out a particular brand and design; Attwood makes one that has a knob protruding through the housing that you can turn to activate the float manually. The problem is that the housing opening for this knob is so close to the knob that it causes it to bind at times. If you don't screw down the base evenly or tighten it too much, you'll actually distort the housing and cause the knob to bind every time. Any similar design will have the same result. This is a well known brand so nothing would surprise me on an off brand.

Electronic level switches are great in principal but they have their issues too. There are some things that are just fine without electronics. Keep it simple and it'll likely last for decades.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » September 30th, 2021, 9:20 pm

This was one from Amazon, shower sump kit for $28.00. Pump is quiet, pumps like the devil, and has a check valve, and ignition protected. yes, it has the knob, but seems to operate smoothly. I am going to check how level I have the sump box and see if that helps on Saturday.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » October 1st, 2021, 6:50 am

Tony, check to see if there is a little screw on the end of the knob. If there is, back it off a bit and check to see if that frees up its operation.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » October 2nd, 2021, 4:33 pm

Well,, I leveled the box, same thing. erratic on and off when it wanted. I loosened the screw on the knob and also not working reliably. SO, I got a RULE float switch, fastened it down with some silicone and a screw (silicone too) and now works great. SO, the entire job cost me $64.00, I have a pump that is super, and a float switch that works. Still a lot cheaper than the Rule or Johnson shower sumps. The saga of the internal float switch is closed!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”