Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

bow thruster

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

bow thruster

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 25th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Has anyone used one of these ? Looks good.but…………
1994 390CPMY

https://shop-us.sideshift.com/collectio ... w-thruster

Canada
pepmyster
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2004 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
8.1 Volvo Penta
Fresh water boating

Re: bow thruster

Postby pepmyster » November 25th, 2021, 6:30 pm

I know that Hans has a lot of experience with this product. He can answer all your questions (Midnight Sun).

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 25th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Hans, you out there?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 25th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Yep, they are actually really nice. Very quiet and powerful. I speak from experience as I had one for about 10 years on my previous boat, Cannot say anything negative about them except! If you are located in an area where there are a lot of weeds floating in the water then be warned, due to their place of installation they will foul up if travelling below planing speeds. On plane they are out of the water so no problem there. If you have little or no weeds then no issues at all.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 25th, 2021, 8:35 pm

Now, it appears the 12V and 24V model will work for my 390 as far as size. I see the 12V is 5.5HP, and the 24V 7.0HP. I would have to put battery(s) under forward V berth, so I would like to have 12V. However, Sideshifter is saying 24 is better. Did you do the install? Looks pretty easy, but is it?

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 25th, 2021, 9:02 pm

I would guess that the 12v may seem underpowered with this sail of an arc I have. I would need a dedicated 24v charger. Also probably AGM to avoid fumes where they would be under the forward v berth?

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » November 26th, 2021, 6:42 am

I actually installed mine at a local sandy bottom beach area where there was only about 3 ft of water. Ideally out of the water is a much better option. That being said I also had no windlass on my previous boat so I opted to install a dedicated battery for both thruster and windlass in the huge anchor locker. Used an AGM and being so close to the unit wiring size could be kept to a minimum. Started iut with just a small dedicated charger that ran on shore power only however later ran wiring to get alternator charging also.

Your conditions and application will require installation to suit. One more thing to remember on these units which is not mentioned anywhere. The shaft seals should be replaced every 5 years as preventative maintenance. They are small and easily replaced and inexpensive with aftermarket seals using the numbers on them. After 7 years my seals failed and ruined the motors, cost me $2500 for replacement! I had a very early unit so things must have improved. The newer units may be better but why chance it for a few dollars in seals. No seal lasts forever. ;-)
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » November 26th, 2021, 7:20 am

If you have a compartment below the dinette with hot water heater, AC, etc. there's usually enough room for a battery or two. If you have room there, you can stick with the same type of batteries you currently have, it'll be a easier run for charge wires from your current charger and charging off the alternators. It'll be a longer run for the power cables to the thruster though, and you'll have to find routing from the dinette to the bow but you'll have to go through there for the control wires from the bridge anyway.

FWIW, I'm not that crazy about the Sideshift for this application. I've seen the results of a few units taking hits that required major component replacements. The only installations I've seen that haven't been damaged by floating debris like logs were stern installations. I'm also not crazy about the exposed contacts and wiring, critters in my area anyway love that stuff. They are a less expensive option for sure and pretty easy to install which makes the system attractive for those that don't have the budget for in hull thrusters. They're well made too, it's all pretty robust hardware, and they've overcome a few electrical issues and problems with the seals over the years. It's a good company to deal with, they're local for us, and will actually come out and do the install but I don't know how much territory they cover. If you're doing it yourself, don't skimp on the quality of caulking, and when you order, make sure the anodes are compatible with your water type. In your case (salt water) they should be zinc.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » November 26th, 2021, 8:42 am

We had one on the last boat, seemed to work fine for the job although we only had that boat for a few years. There is no wiring to run to the bridge, it uses a wireless joystick that just needs 12v and there is the remote you can operate from anywhere you are.

Certainly, considerably cheaper than an in hull. Pat said he had been flown to different areas to do installs, extra cost for that though if they would even do that now..... :-D

I think the Cadillac would be the in hull, but like everything, for them to work properly and not affect hull performance they need to be installed and wired correctly.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » November 26th, 2021, 9:49 am

So, do you think the 12V model (5.5HP) would do the trick, or would I need the 24V model (7.5HP)? Side shift recommended the 24V for the extra power, bu

Code: Select all

t isf I used the 12V model, I have an extra bank off of my 12V promariner 40A charger that is unused. and I could also hook to alternator power for engine recharge also. I am ready to pu[code]sh the b[code]utton this weekend, just [code]need to [code]figure out 12V [code]or 24v.[/code][/code][/code][/code]

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”