Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Leak!

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 455

Leak!

Postby KnotSure » December 26th, 2021, 9:55 pm

So, I just splashed again after a yard period and found that the guy who replaced my black water hoses evidently busted something else in the process and now I've got a (small) leak. It's right over the forward bilge pump, thankfully, but I'm not sure where/what it's from, whether the freshwater system or from outside the boat. It's the smaller diameter hose running across in the attached picture, I'm facing forward and on the port side is the third cabin, starboard is the 2nd head. Does anyone recognize at least what type of line it is? As you can see, on the starboard side its sealed where it passes through the bulkhead so it's hard to trace without a lot of disassembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: Leak!

Postby Midnightsun » December 27th, 2021, 4:58 am

Good news is that type of flexible hose is not part of the pressurized fresh water system. My best guess is it is from the AC water circulation. Vent/overflow hoses are also the same but they should not leak as technically there is only air in them unless you overfill something. Regardless and easy permanent splice fix or a temporary radiator tape hose fix until you get the parts.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 27th, 2021, 10:49 am

KnotSure wrote:Source of the post So, I just splashed again after a yard period .....

Yea, sure, go ahead and just rub that salt right into the wound!!! All the folks up here are just now seeing the daylight start getting longer and have to wait MONTHS before they can say those same words!!!

:lol:

Oh, can't help much on the leak but good luck on finding/fixing that!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 27th, 2021, 11:41 am

I have the same exact hoses like that and are used on the water circulation on the ac units like Midnightsun mentioned.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » December 27th, 2021, 3:26 pm

In my boat I have those hoses to circulate water for the A/C units as stated by others and for the drainage of grey water from sumps.

You can remove the hoses and replace with new, but that may be a major undertaking. I would simply splice the hose and put in a double barbed fitting with pipe clamps on each side. These should not be a pressurized line and this simple fix should last for years.

Greg

Topic author United States of America
KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 455

Postby KnotSure » December 27th, 2021, 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, I did confirm it was an AC line by shutting off the seacock feeding the AC strainer, leak stopped. Traced the hose through 3 bulkheads and just going to replace the whole length with a hose that follows a more sane path. :)
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » December 28th, 2021, 4:13 am

just going to replace the whole length with a hose that follows a more sane path. :)

Best fix by far. Adding a piece of hose or installing a barbed splice will introduce a restriction causing flow to taper off a bit. Maybe the flow difference would not matter but by changing the entire hose you know for sure it will work as intended.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 28th, 2021, 1:02 pm

I agree on replacing the entire length of possible. That hose is difficult to get on and off of fittings as the plastic winding through it is not very forgiving but it makes a really good hose. Heat the hose up first before removing and installing. Just be careful not to heat it too much. To make it easier for removal and routing a long length, I usually make a cut in the old hose in accessible areas and attach those small length sections in each area to the new hose. Pull the old section of hose in the first area bringing the new hose through that’s attached to it. Attach the new hose to the next piece of old hose and repeat. Having an extra set of hands really helps snake the hose through. This is a good method when you can’t get to certain areas along the run. Much the same when using an old wire to pull a new wire through. Hopefully you can get to the areas where the hose is actually secured to the hull or a bulkhead, or other hoses so you can free it for pulling. In areas that aren’t accessible to the strapping, leave that section of old hose in there.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”