Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuel tank level sender question

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1996 Carver 455

Fuel tank level sender question

Postby KnotSure » December 29th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Okay, I warned you guys I'd have a lot of questions, still trying to figure out where everything is on this boat, and discovering a lot of "improvised" things that have been done to her previously. This, however, I don't think falls in that category. I'm trying to find out where the fuel tank level senders are, my starboard tank isn't reading anything, so I'm trying to first determine if it's the sender or a break in the wire between the sender and the helm. In the engine space, the fuel tanks go all the way up to the top of the space, so there's no access there. When I look above there (under the sofa, etc) I can't find anything either. I've actually got the original owner's manual AND the parts catalog, and looking at the diagrams/schematics, I don't see anything there either. Any ideas?
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fuel tank level sender question

Postby km1125 » December 29th, 2021, 8:08 pm

I didn't have a 455, but my manuals didn't show any access hatches for that kind of stuff, but they were there. I didn't even realize it until quite a long ways after I had the boat.

Are you saying you looked up from the bottom (where the tank is) and you don't see any access hatches?

I would also just wiggle the wires at the sender to see if it might be a corrosion issue. There should be a sensor wire and a ground, so check them both. I had that problem on one of my tanks and I eventually replaced the ring connector which solved the issue. Also, do you have a toggle switch for the gauges, or separate gauges for each tank? If a switch, you might check the connections there too.

KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby KnotSure » December 29th, 2021, 8:57 pm

I'm saying I can't even see/reach the top of the tanks, they go all the way up to/through the top of the engine room. And I can't find anywhere in the salon above that even vaguely resembles an access hatch (under the sofa, in the AC/DC switch panel cabinet, etc). The only place I can find the wires for the senders is at the helm, separate gauges for each tank.
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » December 29th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Ah, I see. Hopefully some other 455 owners will weigh in if they've been able to figure that out.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 30th, 2021, 1:36 am

Do you see any wall panels above the tanks in the salon that are removable? Might be behind a sofa or other piece of furniture, the back wall or floor in a cabinet, etc.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » December 30th, 2021, 7:34 am

On my boat, I have a couple bilge access panels hidden by carpet. I have to pull the carpet up to be able to get to them.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » December 30th, 2021, 9:24 am

Have you verified the guage works? And power to it? If the sending wire is grounded the guage should read full. You will at least rule out the guage.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » December 30th, 2021, 10:03 am

I agree with g, grounding will give you a full sweep of the gauge and usually peg the needle. If you do it at the gauge, you'll confirm the gauge works. If you do that at the sender and get the same result, you'll confirm the gauge and the wiring from the sender to the gauge is okay including any plugs along the way. Still, you should check and make sure all connections are clean and tight including any plugs. If all is well there, it's likely your sender and that can be confirmed with a test meter. Also check that the grounding connection to the tank is good. The other thing you can try to narrow down the culprit is to swap the wiring at the gauges and see if the fault follows the wiring, use jumpers if you have to.

KnotSure
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby KnotSure » December 30th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Found the senders by accident while chasing down an HVAC issue! They were up off the floor level behind the backrest cushions of the sofa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 455 "Knot Sure"
Eden Isle, La

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”