Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forward Head Issues

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
SMercer
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 440. 1995

Forward Head Issues

Postby SMercer » January 4th, 2022, 7:36 pm

Hi! New to the group and really hoping I can find the help I need here.
We have a 440 and the fwd head has stopped working. I've rebuilt and then replaced the vacuum pump and it just runs for as long as I leave it on. No suction is developed in the toilet and nothing gets sucked down. There is water in the bowl, so it's not losing the vacuum there.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to get at the vacuum tank and hoses, but they are buried under thw gallery counter top and behind the wall between the wall and the hull.
Is there any relatively easy way to remove these without ripping the galley apart?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Forward Head Issues

Postby bud37 » January 4th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Welcome to the forum....have you double checked the way you installed the duckbills.......why did you rebuild in the first place?

We have some head experts here, someone may recognize the symptoms.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » January 4th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Welcome aboard.

What model is the pump? Is it separate from the vac tank or does it sit on top of the tank? Does it have one set of duckbills on the bottom (2") or are both sets on the sides of the pump (1-1/2"). Are you saying you rebuilt the original pump and then ended up replacing it with a new one or are you still using the original one? If it's a new one, what was the part number you got?

When you say you rebuilt the pump, what got replaced? What I see happen a lot is warping the duckbills when installing them. This can be frustrating as you'll still have a leak but will not suspect the new valves and go on a wild goose chase. I find that if you install them dry, their bases can twist when you turn the fitting to tighten it. So I lubricate the bases and where they seat into the fitting with a little dish soap. This allows the duckbill bases to slide/slip while you tighten the fitting and helps prevent them from twisting/distorting which causes them to open a bit and stay open once the fitting is tight. Short of that, it's a problem with the pump, a leak in the suction line or a fitting, or there's a leak at the pedal on the toilet. If there's a leak at the pedal, you should be able to hear a hissing there while the pump is running. You can isolate the toilet from the rest of the system by opening the ball and covering the discharge port at the bottom of the base inside the toilet, this is where the diagnostic gauge is placed too. If the pump eventually shuts off, you'll know the problem is in the upper end of the toilet. If it continues to run, it's not a toilet issue. There is a vacuum gauge assembly specially made to check whether the system is building any vacuum or not. It helps diagnose issues.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » January 5th, 2022, 5:39 am

Improperly installed Duck bills seems like the likely issue. Has the bellows been replaced?
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”