Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

removing old 4" exhaust hose

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Mack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 300 aft cabin. Twin 350 Crusaders, fresh water cooled. Twin Borg Warner inboard transmissions

removing old 4" exhaust hose

Postby Mack » January 9th, 2022, 5:22 pm

Hi, hello.

I need to get at my Velvet Drive transmission and take it out to be rebuilt.

My 350 Crusaders are FWC, coolant and a heat exchanger each, instead of raw water in the engine block.
There are so many hoses in the way!

What's worse, the exhaust elbow, that does a 90 to to meet the other exhaust hose, is fiberglass.
I have the hose clamps off. The hose does not want to move. It's been baked and pressed on there for years.
Usually, I pry the hell out of the hose end to get it off the lip.
In this case, I dont want to crush or pierce the fiberglass elbow and buy another one.
I might have to cut along this foot longish piece of exhaust hose, destroy it and buy another one.
That would be better than wrecking the 90 elbow, I figure?

The 4" exhaust hose that's in there now says "1993" on it, in the blue stripe with the hose info.
The boat is a 1994 production year, does this mean the exhaust hose could really be that old?
It would be a coincidence if not, that this unrelated number would randomly match the year this boat was constructed.
If the hose is that old, I don't feel too bad about wrecking a piece of it. Maybe it should all be replaced if it's that old?
Seller said he redid the exhaust hoses, and they look much newer than 1993 though.

Any tricks to removing old 4" exhaust hose? I'm trying to warm it up with a space heater and boiling water, but it won't budge. I've tried putting a piece of 2x4 in the inner crook of the elbow where the other hose clamp protects the lip from impact, and hammering the other end of the 2x4, to push the elbow out of the hose. No luck so far.

Soon the angle grinder and exhaust hose will have an encounter, unless something brilliant happens.

I have and will have a lot of questions as I try to repair this old beast. Thanks for reading these and for your help.
I will mail beer to all of you I guess? :beergood:

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: removing old 4" exhaust hose

Postby Viper » January 9th, 2022, 7:51 pm

I start my removals using a hose pick, this will free up the first couple of inches at the start of the hose and may just be enough to help break the bond on the rest. I have a stiff flat metal bar that I use if the rest is still stubborn or you can use a thin screw driver to work your way into the rest. Just be careful not to damage the elbow, you can crack it if you pry too hard.

Once you remove the hose, take a look inside it, if it looks cracked or burnt you should replace it. If the outside is cracked, don't even try getting it off in one piece as it should be replaced so cutting will make removal easier. Given the vintage though and considering you'll already have it off, it's probably best to replace it with new hose anyway.

FYI, you should remove the tranny oil lines and oil cooler and clean the out thoroughly or replace with new. If the failure contaminated the oil, you don't want any of that in the rebuilt tranny. Most mechanics will replace these items with new ones for liability reasons to be sure there is no contamination in the system which can still be present after cleaning the old hardware.

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » January 9th, 2022, 9:23 pm

As viper mentioned, this is a task of patience. Use a hose pic or an ice pick and take your time. Yes, they are most likely the original hoses from 1993. There is also a good chance Carver put some sort of sealant on them when installed. When you start to get it a little loose, you could also try to work in a hacksaw blade and slowly work it around.

Topic author Canada
Mack
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 300 aft cabin. Twin 350 Crusaders, fresh water cooled. Twin Borg Warner inboard transmissions

Postby Mack » January 9th, 2022, 10:06 pm

Thank you both.

I particularly like the hacksaw blade idea.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 9th, 2022, 10:38 pm

A strap wrench comes in handy for adding force to the twisting......if the hoses are that old then they are most likely long past their usefullness, once you see the inside of the hoses that will tell as they wear out from the inside to out , just cut em off in my opinion.....good luck man...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Dewmyster
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1998 370 Voyager

Postby Dewmyster » January 10th, 2022, 5:59 pm

I used a heat gun on mine when I replaced my elbows......after I tore the first one with a screw driver.
:usa:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”