Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

battery shut of switch panel panel

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
henry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1987 carver mariner 32 ft

battery shut of switch panel panel

Postby henry » February 17th, 2022, 9:58 am

i have a 1987 carver 3297 mariner there is a 50 amp circuit breaker in the panel i have no 12v power and this breaker will not re set anyone know the part number and would render the 12 volt inop

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Re: battery shut of switch panel panel

Postby uchu » February 17th, 2022, 11:45 am

If the breaker does not reset, it could indicate an overload in the 12V circuit and not necessarily a malfunctioning breaker,

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 17th, 2022, 12:49 pm

I agree with uchu. Do some troubleshooting first before you go replacing it.

Does the pic below look like your panel? Is it the "Main" breaker on the left that's not resetting? (if so) Did you shut off ALL the other breakers on that panel before turning on the main? If that's the one that is tripping, then yes you wouldn't have any DC power to anything except the auto float switch for the bilge pump and maybe the voltmeter(s). Those usually go direct to the battery switch and bypass the main breaker. They are a common breaker, usually made by Carling but a replacement is probably available from Blue Seas too.

Carver_3297_elect_panel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 17th, 2022, 2:23 pm

henry wrote:Source of the post i have a 1987 carver 3297 mariner there is a 50 amp circuit breaker in the panel i have no 12v power and this breaker will not re set anyone know the part number and would render the 12 volt inop

Is there any resistance when you move the toggle or is just floppy ?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

henry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby henry » February 18th, 2022, 6:17 am

no its not the main panel its a seperate panel for the battery shutoff switch the pust to set cb is in this panel the boat is in storage now i went to charge batteries and found no 12 v power to boat put charger on bit still no 12v in boat checked the panel and found 50 amp cb was popped would not reset not sure what this cb controls

Canada
uchu
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver Santego 2767 - Twin Mercruisers 4.3LX with Alpha-One drives

Postby uchu » February 18th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Something must've overloaded the circuit and popped the breaker. Are the batteries dead?

henry
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby henry » February 28th, 2022, 10:45 am

volt meter showed 8 volts weather has been bad here unable to ge tto boat still some snow melts i borrowed a battery test will ck it out soon as i can will keep poste
thaks

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 28th, 2022, 10:49 am

You need to get out there and get that thing charged back up. A battery at 8 volts can FREEZE and will cause damage internally.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » February 28th, 2022, 11:09 am

Good chance the battery is bad now anyway being so low, try and charge it and see but don't be too surprised if it doesn't have capacity left.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
SmokingSailor
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 Carver Rivera 28 A/C
Cal Jensen 28
PACE 27

Postby SmokingSailor » June 9th, 2023, 4:28 pm

Did you ever find out what the CB was to/for ?
I'm having the same issue, except my batteries are fine.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”