Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anti skid paint

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Anti skid paint

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 5th, 2022, 6:20 pm

Another project, (in addition to the Side Shift bow thruster, new enclosure, refrigerator) is I would like to freshen up the anti skid on the walk around, swim platform, cockpit and bow area. What do you all use? I saw AWLGRIP, with nonskid additive, gel coat with wax, without wax, granules to add, etc. OK, any ideas on how to do this? I know it will need to be leaned perfectly first……that’s all I know. Pretty confused.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anti skid paint

Postby bud37 » March 5th, 2022, 7:14 pm

All I can say is I had this done once, paid a pro to do it .....the color matching is very hard and if it is not prepped and laid down right it will come of in short order. A good product is important and no short cuts.

I think viper knows about glass work, he will maybe have some recommendations as to product etc.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 5th, 2022, 7:42 pm

I had looked at the Interlux products and the petit. Both have the silica grits, and both said they could be applied over the existing factory anti skid. I was not too concerned about the “perfect tint, as mine now is whiter than the hull. Looks nice when wet and ten as the original dries, it can be a tad yellowish in spots where it has worn down. A freshen up coat would do wonders.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » March 6th, 2022, 10:05 am

Is it just a color issue, or is it worn or chipped off??

If it's a color/dirt thing, you can go at it with an aggressive cleaner, like toilet bowl cleaner. Put a heavy concentrate on and brush it in and let it sit for a bit, keeping it wet. Note that it will remove wax too, so any runoff could remove wax on other parts. I've taped some plastic on the edge of the deck so the runoff goes straight into the lake rather than run down the hull. Then you can apply something like Woody Wax to protect it and keep it from getting dirty quickly. But follow the directions closely so it doesn't end up slippery.

If it just needs a decent clean, then I've used the Starbrite non-skid deck cleaner with PTEF. Leave it on for a bit, keeping it wet and brush it in. Rinse off. Doesn't look much different after it dries, but a couple hours later it will look like you just repainted in bright white.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”