Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Fuse holder replacement

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 2896

Fuse holder replacement

Postby Ctmangrum » April 8th, 2022, 10:13 am

Anyone ever replace just the fuse holder on a 2896 mariner electrical panel? I want to replace a few that are very difficult to open and close. Also, does the original manual have all the fuse amp recommendations so I can buy some replacements without fighting with each fuse holder? Thanks.

United States of America
Beufort
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86’ montego 26.

Re: Fuse holder replacement

Postby Beufort » April 9th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Ive had to replace several on out 2657, think they are the same, I found the fuse ratings listed in the boats manual, in the wiring diagrams. Pretty easy, I shut down all the power before I opened it up, glad I did, had a bunch of connectors corroded and they broke off when I pulled the panel. Electrical shorts are no good. Oh, i got the new fuse holders off ebay.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » April 16th, 2022, 12:54 am

What terms did you use when searching on Ebay?

United States of America
Beufort
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 86’ montego 26.

Postby Beufort » June 18th, 2022, 9:02 am

Man, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging, just noticed your question. Unfortunately I don’t remember exactly what i typed, but surely you have found them by now.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » June 18th, 2022, 9:45 am

Beufort wrote:Source of the post Man, I didn’t mean to leave you hanging, just noticed your question. Unfortunately I don’t remember exactly what i typed, but surely you have found them by now.

No worries. Have not found what im looking for. I don't think I fully understand how to change a fuse holder. Ive seen whole panels for sale. I just can't seem to remove a couple of the "twist and pull" fuse holders so I can check the fuses.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » June 18th, 2022, 10:25 am

Sometimes on the "twist and pull" you have to push against the spring a bit before you can actually twist. Think of it like a "child-proof" cap on medication.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » June 18th, 2022, 10:51 am

just a thought: check continuity with a simple meter to know for sure if that fuse is shot or not, if not: save the effort.
and if the plastics are aged into a crumbling mass at touch, you may want to leave them where they are and add a separate solution behind the scenes, bridging the old stuff. Like a simple blade-fuse holder (note: there are pros and cons with these in boats) if it concerns only a few fuses.

ancient fuse solutions renovation is probably one of the most challenging: to find a balance between keeping the original and replacing the whole lot in one go.

I'm lucky that my fuse panels are after market stuff and not so well mounted. So I go for the replace route.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

United States of America
Capt'n CRUNCH!
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1984 Carver 2667 Santa Cruz (350 Chevy)
2005 custom 18' alum 300 hp jet boat
Myriad Jon boats and skinny water vessels

Postby Capt'n CRUNCH! » July 26th, 2022, 5:30 pm

Thank you all - I have some that apparently have the spring broken inside and would like to replace them with something looks like the original 1984 fuse holders - as I am trying to keep 'er lookin' vintage... Will try the internet search.
Cheers, and keep a tight line :captain:

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”