Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin - Replacement Drip Edge

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin - Replacement Drip Edge

Postby eswickberg » May 5th, 2022, 2:22 pm

I'm currently trying to look at replacing or refinishing the 1 inch aluminum drip edge that runs around the lower edge of my prow and the entire bottom edge of the aft deck hardcover. It appears to be made of aluminum screwed in every 6 inches to the fibreglass of both areas. It appears to have been powder coated which is worn off and corroded in a number of areas. Any info on if this was an original item and what other types of drip edge molding might be used. Does anyone have info on where I might find replacement or if I had it sandblasted the best way to refinish it. See the below image of this strip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Re: 1994 Carver 350 Aft Cabin - Replacement Drip Edge

Postby Phrancus » May 6th, 2022, 3:22 am

looks like coated aluminium. Cracks allow moist and thus corrosion. Take it off, remove paint (chemical and sanding) polish and put on a coat that remains flexible and adheres to aluminium. Aluminium needs a different primer. Check the automotive materials for aluminium rims if you want to go that way.

But this one is screwed on, the screws cracked the paint. If the profile is not too complex you might just replace the whole thing and use modern caulk to put and keep it in place with perhaps a hidden clamp here and there.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 6th, 2022, 5:49 am

If it was mine I would glass bead blast it to avoid damage to aluminum as aluminum is rather soft. Prime with proper aluminum primer and coat with a good polyurethane paint. Personally I would refinish in white. How long are these pieces? I assume they are maybe 4' or something like that.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
eswickberg
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby eswickberg » May 7th, 2022, 6:17 pm

Thanks for your comments. The pieces are anywhere from 6 feet to 8 feet. It depends where they are installed. I think I might see about having them sandblasted. I have used White Interlux brand 1 step poly on other aluminum areas such as my radar arch. Of course I put on a self etching aluminum primer first.

United States of America
AaHubb
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: '99 404 CPMY
my twin diesel pusher

Postby AaHubb » May 8th, 2022, 10:50 am

I too had this issue on my 404. My solution was to leave the trim in place and carefully sand it down to bare metal. The aluminum oxidized to a nice gray patina.
..Aaron
'99 404 CPMY
SeaDragon

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 8th, 2022, 11:08 am

Considering it is inside, you could remove the trim, take home, sand smooth with nice fine paper, like 400-600, and rattle can paint it with automotive paint any color you want, it will come up just fine if you take your time with the spray can. It will look original......good luck with your project.

Now that said, if you are not confident, you could drop off the pieces at a body shop and they will paint them for you.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
kporter
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby kporter » October 5th, 2022, 5:48 pm

It might be one of the Taco Marine rub rails. https://www.fisheriessupply.com/taco-marine-aluminum-rub-rails I was talking to another carver owner just recently and they just replace with new instead of trying to refinish and his looks fantastic. Will probably do something similar for mine as a previous owner did a poor job with a brush on paint that is flaking (don't think they did the right primer)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”