Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

small leak after spring lift in

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Liveitwell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1986 carver 3607

small leak after spring lift in

Postby Liveitwell » May 5th, 2022, 7:40 pm

experiencing small leak not enough to activate bilge a gallon every couple of days namely mid port side even smaller amount bow bilge area. All engine hoses have been replaced do not see any leaks, any ideas? All drain plugs have been installed is possible that being reinstalled that they may temporary leak then reseat themselves?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: small leak after spring lift in

Postby km1125 » May 6th, 2022, 8:48 am

What do you mean when you say "mid port side"? Is this in the engine compartment or the forward half of the boat? If your 3607 was like mine, the bulkhead forward of the engines does not pass water through it.

What kind of shaft seals do you have? If still the conventional packing then they can drip which is normal. They should definitely drip while running because that keeps them cool and lubricated but once stopped they should not drip much at all. However, some still do and whether they drip too much is up to the owner.

How has the rain been in the area? Is it possible water is leaking down from the topside somewhere?

Topic author Canada
Liveitwell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Liveitwell » May 6th, 2022, 7:15 pm

thanks Admiral, still investigating, your info is useful.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 6th, 2022, 7:49 pm

Could be many things in the spring ....so my advice, dry the bilge bone dry.....then lay down some rolled up towels here and there and watch to see where the water comes from......you will see what towels get wet first then you can narrow the search..... also get a bright light when you look at lines, hoses, fittings , rudder posts, shafts, thru hulls etc......good luck...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Liveitwell
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby Liveitwell » May 7th, 2022, 9:27 am

Good diagnostic common sense advice, I will be working on this today, the toughest will be attaining bone dry status, but nothing that cannot be handled while enjoying a cold refreshment.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » May 7th, 2022, 9:57 am

If you still have the grey plastic potable water lines, then there's always the possibility of a leak on that stuff. It WILL eventually create leaks. I had several until I finally swapped it all out with PEX. If you plan on having the boat any length of time, then I would plan that project. I think I posted some pics in the "projects" section when I did mine.

There were a couple that were VERY frustrating as they were microscopic leaks. One, I couldn't even see the actual leak and the only way I found it was when I found my arm getting wet. The leak was over a foot away but was spraying a microscopic stream that you couldn't even see. I've had one of the 90 degree fittings under the dinette seats develop a pinhole leak and the only reason I found that was because the carpet in the storage area under the dinette kept getting damp. Never any puddles of water (because that would leak down into the fwd bilge) and if you left the compartment open the carpet would dry out because the leak wasn't so bad it could overcome the evaporation.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”