Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Volvo D6 Diesel Leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Volvo D6 Diesel Leak

Postby Midnightsun » May 24th, 2022, 6:26 am

Seems I have sprung a small leak on my port engine. Before I start ripping things apart, is there a common place to look for a leak on these engines after X amount of time? Definitely coming from the engine and not the tank. Saw it last end of season as there was a little diesel in the bilge. No evident tell tale signs of diesel running down the engine that I can see. Probably about 2 cups worth that I was able to see. The port engine has always had a small "dirty" trail under it and assume this is from this leak which has gotten worse with time. Hard to tell where it's coming from though however after I remove the engine top, I my be able to see what is going on. Just looking for some advice on someone who may be in the know about this which may save me a bunch of work. Will be into this on Friday morning.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Re: Volvo D6 Diesel Leak

Postby Viper » May 25th, 2022, 9:38 pm

If you're certain the engine is the source, try the easy things to get at first such as the fuel filter assembly. Of course check all hose connections. I'd be surprised if the leak was on the high pressure circuit because I would expect to see other symptoms but you never know.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 26th, 2022, 8:35 am

Check the fittings in areas where feet can go when accessing or climbing around, sometimes the lines get bumped and it loosens a fitting down the line a ways just enough to weep.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 26th, 2022, 9:42 am

I will be into the engines tomorrow and will be searching for it. Need to do impellers also as its been 8 years so long overdue. Got plenty of time to rip things apart this weekend as my wife is in London, UK with our daughter so working on the boat and making a mess is not an issue. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Netherlands
Phrancus
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: Sold: Carver 26 Command Bridge / 280 sedan 1992.

Postby Phrancus » May 26th, 2022, 3:01 pm

8 years!?

two tips: 1) use kitchen towel (paper) and put it under the engine. It will show where the drops land. Look from there and you'll find the source. Then use the force and all will be well.
2) use a diaper on that spot if you can't get it fixed in time. One of my engines drips a tiny bit from a gasket that I should have replaced. Not enough to go through the hassle of replacing but pretty fouling to the bilge water.
Share your Carver experiences, share marine life. Donate when you can but post what your Carver adds to your life too!

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 26th, 2022, 5:58 pm

8 years!?

The impellers in the D6 are really well designed and seem to last forever. When I purchased the boat it had 1000hrs on the engines and was 9 years old. Original impellers were in there and they looked as good as the new ones I put in. Will snap a shot of the ones I remove this weekend. Have not looked at the engine hours for quite some time but another 9 years have past and I put maybe 450 hrs on the engines since then.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 11th, 2022, 7:27 pm

Found the leak haphazardly just now. My fuel transfer pump seems to be leaking at the shaft from what I can tell. Will use a couple of vise grips to shut down the leak and either remove and service the pump or get a new one. You can see the drip under the screw head in the red circle. Would say about 1 drop/15 seconds. :help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 11th, 2022, 8:04 pm

It's a common source. Glad you found it.

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » June 11th, 2022, 8:11 pm

Just found the shut off valves on the tanks that will shut off the drips. Guess I will order the minor rebuild kit and rebuild as the pump which probably has less than 1 hr run time time on it since new and it's over $400. https://www.go2marine.com/jabsco-pump-s ... 90200-0001
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Topic author Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » September 17th, 2022, 7:39 am

Just an update, after changing the small shaft seal, the unit runs great and no more leaks. Used it several times this summer, no problem. I did hang a spare shaft seal on the unit just in case this ever happens again and will be able to repair immediately if required.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”