Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Air lock during initial launch - water pump

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Air lock during initial launch - water pump

Postby Cooler » May 24th, 2022, 11:12 am

Trying to find out how common this is. 2nd season my water pump could not draw water during initial season launch. Disconnected hose at the thermostat water input last season. There was a hissing noise of escaping air, and then water started flowing. This year, both engines acted the same way. Disconnected the hose from water input at water pump. Held hose below water line and water strated flowing. Last season I started a test with Globe Run Dry impellers. That was the first time it happened to one engine only. Wondering if this could be a result of Run Dry impellers not having enough suction to start from initial season launch. The vessel is launched from a trailer. The mechanic said the water line from seacock had to run over a stringer before it entered water pump. Opined that left too much uphill draw to get water at water pump location. He recommended new impellers every year. The Run Dry impellers could be at fault, but if I did not have those in, the standard impellers would have been smoked by the time water started running. Is this common? Is it an impeller issue, or a water line issue? Any thoughts on mitigation? Thanks for comments. Hope Viper sees this. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Air lock during initial launch - water pump

Postby km1125 » May 24th, 2022, 12:41 pm

Wondering how you are winterized? Is antifreeze fed in from underneath via a "plunger", or is it fed in at/near the strainers?

I would think if it's fed in via a plunger, and they shutoff the seacock before removing the plunger then the inlet hose should be full of antifreeze and stay that way until startup. There would only be a small amount of air between the seacock and the sea that would quickly get sucked though the system. There would be plenty of antifreeze to lubricate the pump in the intervening time.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » May 24th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Gee those run dry impellers really do live up to their name and," run dry ".... :-D

The standard ones must have worked fine before, they will pull water up quite well.The antifreeze from winterizing is quite slippery so that will lube them at start up each year , in my experience and probably yours.

There are still some folk, MAYBE, that pull their impellers each winter so they don't take a set, maybe these run dry ones take a set more easily and need this sort of treatment.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 24th, 2022, 3:58 pm

One thing many overlook when winterizing is using the wrong pink stuff in their engines. The Alcohol based one or the cheapest one if you prefer, will dry out an impeller and cause them to fail well before they should. Not saying this is what you did but as a reminder to others using the cheap stuff for winterizing. ;-)

It's like storing your impeller in Vodka all winter, rubber is going to be affected for sure.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
tomschauer
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1998 Carver 355
Suspicious Fishes !
2022 Kawasaki 310X

Postby tomschauer » May 24th, 2022, 10:46 pm

On most any boat I have owned over the years, if the raw water pump was above the water line, I have had to goose the throttles a bit to like 2000 rpm for a few seconds to pull the water up to the pumps. Only had to do this on initial launch, or after changing impellers, then no problem for the rest of the season.
:-D

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 25th, 2022, 7:32 am

All good points. I can't comment on the Globe impellers but have read things that and talked to colleagues who've dealt with them which convinced me to stick with the tried and true regular impellers.

There's several things that can contribute to the issue, worn pump, impeller, leak, clog, hose routing, etc. Hans hit my initial thought in that the proper winterizing antifreeze really helps on start up. The product has lubricants that regular plumbing antifreeze doesn't, you can feel it when you rub it between two fingers. If you run antifreeze through the pump at winterizing, your impeller will be lubricated enough to get it through initial start up.

Shouldn't really matter whether the intake hose is full of antifreeze or not over the winter. In fact, if you open your seacock after you finish winterizing which is a must, the intake hose will drain completely leaving only the antifreeze in the pump.

As Tom mentioned, the norm when firing up for the first time in the spring is to chop the throttle a few times, this usually solves the problem, I just wouldn't do it nor is it usually necessary with diesels.

Topic author United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » May 25th, 2022, 11:23 am

Engines are not winterized. Stored in warm storage. The support staff at Globe suggested the impellers probably did set while in storage due to their pliable nature. I was thinking they would act just the opposite, due to that pliable nature. So, my Run Dry impeller test is complete. They do seem to pump more water when primed, but the issue with intial launch priming challenge has me going back to standard neoprene impellers. The other issue is the engines run 10 degrees hotter than when I ran neoprene impellers. Will run these for the season, and change out next fall. Had a friend who ran these Run Dry in his go fast boat and loved them. I guess they are not for everybody. Thanks everybody! 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » May 25th, 2022, 5:36 pm

Thanks for the update. Honestly I have never seen any good or maybe I should say revolutionary regarding the run dry units. Not that I have ever tried them however all the reviews I have read were mostly negative so I never bothered trying in the past.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » May 25th, 2022, 9:26 pm

Cooler wrote:Source of the post......Will run these for the season, and change out next fall.....
There's no sense in replacing impellers in the Fall on a vessel that is laid up for the winter. You'll be starting off with new impellers that have already taken a set for almost 6 months before you use them for the first time. Change them first thing in the Spring.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”