Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

2005 Marner Stern Access Doors

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

2005 Marner Stern Access Doors

Postby denpooch » June 27th, 2022, 4:11 pm

Hello Folks,

Last week I was in a hurry to get to a bridge opening and unfortunately left the dock whist still plugged in. I broke the starboard access door to the power hookup. UGH!
The door is made out of Carver 'white' lucite. (we know it's an off-white)
I visited two businesses today and one can manufacture a unit in standard white. The second offered the same service with an additional option of a 'seafoam starboard', which leaned beige. The latter material does not have a 'shiny' surface and will not match the finish of the fiberglass.
I am thinking that if I can find a source for the lucite, I would purchase it and then bring it to the business to fabricate.
As we well know, I cannot contact the Carver folks for information on the source for part and am wondering if anyone on the site has been in a similar situation and how you went about the fix.

Thanks,
Dennis

Boat Door.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Re: 2005 Marner Stern Access Doors

Postby Midnightsun » June 27th, 2022, 4:26 pm

My rear door is made of what looks like solid fibreglass resin and about 7\8 of an inch thick. When I purchased the boat is was shrink wrapped and yours truly removed the wrap and the awesome really sticky tape they use. Turns out some of the paint came off with the tape and the door looked terrible. Lived with it for a couple of years and then decided to visit the local paint supplier. Brought in the door and they color matched a batch for me. A little prep work and after spray painting it with what the supplier called fibreglass paint, it still looks great today. Had plenty of paint left over so I actually painted our pool diving board and base this spring with the same paint which also came out looking great. Now I know this does not help you out in finding a replacement door however it opens up other alternatives for you. The doors you have look very similar to my interior doors of the cockpit so I will say they are made of acrylic assuming the same material. Here is the only picture I could find of those doors, please ignore my daughter. :-D

Oddly enough it seems like all the pictures I have are with the rear door open. This will give you an idea though.

Last edited by Midnightsun on June 27th, 2022, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » June 27th, 2022, 4:29 pm

Whoops .......well what comes to mind for me would be to check around the area for boat salvage yards.....perhaps you can find some of that material in a larger door from who knows what........as you probably see there will be some fading/color change......I know there was on ours so worth a try......good luck.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » June 27th, 2022, 10:09 pm

Give The Marine Connection in Fort Pierce Florida a call.... http://themarineconnection.net/

Topic author United States of America
denpooch
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2005 360 Mariner
Crusader 6.0 Captains Choice

Postby denpooch » June 29th, 2022, 8:27 pm

I would like to take a moment and update the crew on the solution path I have chosen.
I found a local guy who will fabricate a new door out of white Lucite, using the undamaged port side as the template. He explained that it would be near impossible to match the original 2005 color of the access doors. In fact, they have faded due to age and if you look at the image the doors are no longer an exact match to the fiberglass.
I will then bring both doors to a local body shop and have him paint the doors. He will send a technician over to the boat to get the color via a 'gun' which reads and determines color.
The fabricator also suggested that StarBoard would be a 'stronger' material then lucite, however, that material cannot be painted.
I believe the final result will look at least as good and may even be a better match to the fiberglass.
I am certain that I will not let that mistake ever occur again!

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”