Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Help with throttles

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Help with throttles

Postby KyleR » July 20th, 2022, 4:41 am

The boat we are purchasing (2002 396) has twin Cummins 6BTA 5.9's but the throttle controls are Volvo Penta. I'm not sure if this was a factory option, but as far as I know there have been no upgrades.

My question: The throttle control says "Electronic Diesel Control" but when I asked the broker he said that it was just cable operated (mechanical) and not electronic. So is this Volvo Penta throttle able to be setup as both an electronic version as well as a mechanical version? I read in the manual that the dual helm came equipped with an electronic throttles but this boat only has an upper helm on the flybridge.

I have scoured online looking for a photo of another similar year model 396 with Cummins engines AND a Volvo Penta throttle but have not seen that combo anywhere else. Anyone else have a similar setup?

Thanks for any help!!

Updating to include a photo of the integrated throttle/gear shifter on the boat (i.e. single lever controls).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Help with throttles

Postby KyleR » July 23rd, 2022, 4:30 pm

Added throttle pic for reference.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 23rd, 2022, 5:35 pm

Just does not seem correct to have Volvo throttle but if they are just pulling wires to activate shift or throttle any brand will work. In order to operate electronically there is a bunch of electronics required not to mention actuators on engines and transmissions. Can it be converted, probably but I am going to assume close to $15,000 before all is installed and calibrated. Biggest issue is you will have a one of a kind and repairs or troubleshooting will be very difficult and expensive. I highly suggest you put this though to rest and rely on good old fashion cables.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 23rd, 2022, 8:12 pm

Thanks Hans,

I'm definitely not looking to sink that kind of money into electronic throttles - I had no idea it would be that expensive! Cables sound good to me! I just couldn't figure out why Carver used the Volvo Penta throttles with the Cummins engines. Carver must have had some of these on a shelf that needed to get used up! :lol:

Thanks again!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

United States of America
jfwatson3
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2000 Carver 396

Postby jfwatson3 » August 7th, 2023, 3:23 pm

I have a 2000 Carver 396 / Cummins 5.9L that will need throttle cables replaced. I can’t find any markings at helm end or engine end that indicate length. Anyone have insights on the lengths of the four cables?

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”