Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Strange situation

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Strange situation

Postby km1125 » July 22nd, 2022, 11:06 am

AlexB wrote:Source of the post The boat is in salt water. The risers and manifolds were changed in 2018. The engines have 650 hours on them. What is confusing me is that both gages show the same temp. I would think that if there was a clogging issue it would be one engines not both at the same time and same temp.
I will be on the boat this weekend I will measure temps all around the engine.

When you wrote "both of my engines under load got up to 190 degrees", what does "under load" mean? Just at a slow cruise? A fast cruise" At high speed?

What about the heat exchangers and impellers? When were the heat exchangers last cleaned? When were the impellers changed?

It's not too surprising if they've both been operated in the same conditions for the same length of time that they would both experience the same issue, caused by some degraded condition. It's only when you have complete failure that you'd see one act different than the other (which also happens). The fact that both gauges show the same temp would be leading me away from it being a sender or gauge issue though.

Topic author United States of America
AlexB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 33

Postby AlexB » July 22nd, 2022, 11:22 am

190 going 3500 rpm. When I slow down to 2000 rpm the temp goes to 180.
Impellers were changed same time as the risers in 2018 I am not sure about when the heat exchanger was cleaned. A friend recommended I check the strainers and make sure they are clean. After that do a barnacle buster cleanse.
What are your thoughts on this? Is it hard to do the cleanse?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 22nd, 2022, 11:38 am

Alex, is the boat in the water year round ? If so do you have diver at the marina where you are?
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

AlexB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby AlexB » July 22nd, 2022, 11:48 am

No the boat is in the water from May to Nov.
I haven’t asked the marina if they have a diver.
But at low tide I can put in a mask and get to the raw water intake.
Do you recommend I do that?

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » July 22nd, 2022, 12:17 pm

AlexB wrote:Source of the post But at low tide I can put in a mask and get to the raw water intake.
Do you recommend I do that?

NO, You should NEVER swim in a marina......and just to add, IMO nobody should be diving under their boat unless they are trained and experienced.....dangerous place to be.... :-O .....be safe ask your Marina about dive services.

So this spring was the boat hull and intakes clean with good bottom paint ?

Alex, a couple things, 4 years on impellers is pushing it, both engines being the same is telling, consider what buster posted and the rec from your friend about the barnacle buster. It is important to go thru these things methodically one thing at a time IMO.

Confirming your engine temps was a good first choice on your part......have a good look around.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

AlexB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby AlexB » July 22nd, 2022, 12:51 pm

Point well taken about not swimming in the marina.
I will ask about the marina’s dive services.
I wasn’t there when they painted the bottom. I assume they cleaned it and the intakes.
This weekend I will try to check the health of the impellers. And if I can find new gages in store I will check those as well

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 22nd, 2022, 4:36 pm

I had my boat out for winter of 20/21. Splashed last spring with clean bottom and fresh paint. 10 weeks later, I had lost 7-8 mph on my top end. Did a short haul and my running gear was encrusted with a heavy coat of barnacles. I’ve never seen that much growth in that short amount of time. Bottom was still nice and clean. Either the boat yard did a piss poor job of painting or used crap paint on the running gear.
A suggestion for the future….after getting a fresh coat of bottom paint, take your boat on a quick cruise, run it up to wide open for a minute or so and take note of your top RPM’s and speed. Now you have a baseline to judge when you have a problem that needs addressing as I did after loosing 7-8 mph.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » July 24th, 2022, 7:02 pm

AlexB wrote:This weekend I will try to check the health of the impellers. And if I can find new gages in store I will check those as well

Make any progress this weekend?

AlexB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby AlexB » July 24th, 2022, 7:21 pm

Not as much as I wanted to. The store didn’t carry any water temp gages so I ordered them, but I did use an IR gun. I measured all over the engine. The risers were at 115 at 2000 rpm. Not knowing exactly where to measure the temp I was taking readings all over the engine. The highest temp I found was 170 except for where the exhaust goes out there it was 217. But I figure that at the exhaust it should be hotter. Next step to change the temp senders and gages and I want take the boat out of the water and inspect the intakes.
Thoughts?

AlexB
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby AlexB » July 24th, 2022, 7:22 pm

Oh and I am not sure where the impellers are. If anyone can post a picture or a link that would be helpful.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”