Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

WIFI on boat, REDUNDANT question

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

WIFI on boat, REDUNDANT question

Postby tonyiiiafl » July 24th, 2022, 6:50 am

Due to dumbness, had to replace our 32” TV. Had a Roku, wasn’t a real fan of it, so got a VIZIO. Nice unit. However, our wifi here at the marina stinks, since the town took it over. Was GREAT when it was marina generated. Anyway, I have T Mobile unlimited everything and used to use my phone as a hot spot. On a 1 -10 it worked a solid 8.5. My vizio has a hard time recognizing it, tech support said it may not recognize every hotspot. I guess my choice is to go back to Roku, or find a new internet wifi. I am so confused about everything out there. Cox is not in our area. Saw Best Buy for Simple, Sonia’s, etc brands. Most are $40.00/month for 30 Gigs. That expire each month. We only use for 6 month season. I was going to get a T-MOBILE hot spot, buy it for the $149.00 and just get the line each season to use it as no contracts. I pay $90.00/month for two lines for service for my Magenta Plus 55 plan (Over 55, unlimited everything, 40 GB EACH line so I would never run out even with teh Admiral Movie Queen on board!) Service is pretty great for us and the 30 day return policy. There internet service not available in our area yet, so hotspot is what we have to consider. Cable from local provider is whacked, and only good for wired.

SO,,,,,,, what do you have and any suggestions?

THANKS!

Tony

United States of America
Rocketman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 2009 44 Sojourn w/ Volvo Diesel D6-500 engines and IPS drive system.

Re: WIFI on boat, REDUNDANT question

Postby Rocketman » July 24th, 2022, 10:10 am

I would suggest getting a Roku Steaming Stick w/ Remote control for about $50.00 if you can't return the Vizio TV.
I have never had problems with a Vizio in the past.
What phone are you using - is it an older phone, Iphone, Samsung? This may need an update or something that is causing the issue with newer wifi connection devices.
The Roku will allow you to screen mirror, cast, or direct connect thru your hot spot.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: WIFI on boat, REDUNDANT question

Postby g36 » July 24th, 2022, 11:37 am

Is part of your problem wifi signal strength at the marina? If it is you could use something like a ubiquiti air max antenna and a new or old router or a small aircube configured properly Then set up a boat network. The airmax antenna will boost the wifi and when configured you will just connect to your router on the boat. So the vizio or whatever device will have a solid strong signal. If you travel around this can also be used at various other marinas or city wifi to boost strength of signals etc to bring it in to be used on the boat. I use this on my boat and rv and allows us to connect to networks I previously couldn't get a signal or it was so low it was useless.. I have both roku and firesticks but I've found the firestick to be more stable where my rokus will reset randomly or freeze and reset. But each has pluses and minuses. Amazon will have all this stuff so if doesn't work out you can return
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”