Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Do you recognize these rudder shaft seals?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Do you recognize these rudder shaft seals?

Postby KyleR » July 28th, 2022, 1:15 pm

Upon investigation, I found a small leak from both the port and starboard rudder shaft seals. They appear to be some kind of dripless seal since there does not seem to be any sort of packing gland follower. A google search turned up possibly a "Tide's lip seal" - but I am only basing that on the red "cap" that I am guessing is there to keep debris out. However, with the entire tube fiberglassed up to that metal ring it doesn't exactly look like any of the ones I've found online.

Any one replaced one of these or had it apart? I am guessing haul-out and dropping the rudders, but I obviously would want to have replacement parts ready to go. This is for a 2002 Carver 396. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Re: Do you recognize these rudder shaft seals?

Postby KyleR » July 28th, 2022, 1:26 pm

Update: Based on a diagram I found in the parts manual, It looks like it is item #4: RDDR PRT:TIDES 1-1/2 BRNG

So I guess the next question is: has anyone ever removed this and if so, how? Does it just unscrew out of the sleeve or is it press fit or something else? I'm off now to try to find a supplier so if anyone has any ideas where to buy I would sure appreciate it! Thanks again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » July 28th, 2022, 1:44 pm

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 28th, 2022, 3:49 pm

You can order from Tides website. Call them, they're great to deal with. Most of the rudder logs I've dealt with are the screw in type. You don't have to remove the assembly though to replace the seal but it's easier to work with it on a bench rather then in the boat, you will have to drop the rudder. There is a flat spring clip that holds the seal in place, if you remove the clip carefully without damaging it, you can reuse the clip. There should be instructions on their website. Make sure you use that seal protector before you reinstall the rudder.

This is all based on a leak through the shaft seal, not the joint between the log insert and the tube.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 29th, 2022, 12:18 am

Thanks for the quick replies!

This is all based on a leak through the shaft seal, not the joint between the log insert and the tube.

Do you mean the part of the seal that is epoxied into the hull that the upper half of the seal screws into? (called the Epoxy Liner in the photo below)

Is there any way to definitively know if the model I have is threaded before hauling the boat out of the water? I definitely don't want to try to unscrew a unit that is not designed to be unscrewed! :confused: Plus it would be nice to have the replacement on-hand before haul-out to minimize time in the yard.

Any special tools to unscrew it or just use a strap wrench/oil filter wrench to remove?

Thanks again for all the help!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » July 29th, 2022, 7:10 am

The liner stays in place, you can't remove it as it's epoxied into the hull. What you remove is the threaded bearing/seal insert assembly that threads into the liner. No special tools needed to remove it but it may take a little effort. Personally, if it's not leaking through the joint between the two, I'd leave it alone and just replace the seal itself on the top of the bearing/seal assembly. You can see the lip seal in the top of the "Type D" picture. You can also see the thin retaining clip on top of the seal, not the metal strap around the outside. Remove the rudder, remove the retaining clip, remove the seal, install the new seal, reinstall the retaining clip, install the seal protector, install the rudder. You can call Tides and confirm if Carver's part number does indeed indicate that it's that type of log but I suspect it is.

Depends on where your leak is; right at the rudder shaft or where the insert/bearing assembly meets the liner. If you're going to remove the upper insert, and or if that's where the leak is (at the joint) get a new o-ring for it, clean the assembly and install the new o-ring.

KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » July 29th, 2022, 1:42 pm

Thanks so much Viper - your explanation and step-by-step detail is exactly what I needed!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”