Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Riviera Exhaust

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1983 Carver Riviera

Riviera Exhaust

Postby Petemait » August 8th, 2022, 8:21 am

Question for Riviera owners past and present...
We are gearing up for vacation on our newly repaired Riviera. It is an '83 with a single screw 454 crusader.
The problem is, most of the time when under way, we get high carbon monoxide readings in the aft cabin. We are trying to figure out how to remedy the issue, i.e. opening or closing different windows to try and get air flow through there to consistently get fresh air in there.
Has anybody had similar issues and been able to come up with a good solution?
Thank you in advance.

One more thing to throw out there... I still have issues with the engine at idle, usually after cruising, then coming down in speed to idle speed with the engine stalling. Think it's to do with the carb...I have limited carburetor experience. Was wondering if someone could lend advice on tuning the carb. Its a 4 barrel rochester carb.
Again, thank you and best.

Pete
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Riviera Exhaust

Postby km1125 » August 8th, 2022, 9:49 am

Petemait wrote:Source of the post ....
One more thing to throw out there... I still have issues with the engine at idle, usually after cruising, then coming down in speed to idle speed with the engine stalling. Think it's to do with the carb...I have limited carburetor experience. Was wondering if someone could lend advice on tuning the carb. Its a 4 barrel rochester carb.
Again, thank you and best.

Pete

Do you still have mechanical advance distributors?? If so, check to make sure that advance mechanism is FREELY moving. You can take the cap off and turn the rotor. It should move easily in one direction against a spring, and snap back. If it's sticky at all, it may stay in the advanced state when down at idle, which is too much for the engine. Once the engine dies and it gets back to base timing, the engine will run fine again until it gets to high RPMs and advances the ignition.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Postby waybomb » August 8th, 2022, 6:21 pm

Are the batteries under the steps leading to the aft cabin?
Over charging batteries will give off had that can cause the co detector to go off.
The charger on my 2807 went bananas and was overcharging them, and the co detector lit up
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Petemait » August 9th, 2022, 9:41 am

KM, yes it has a mechanically advanced distributor. I will check out the rotor like you said, thank you.
Waybomb, thanks for the reply. The boat does not have a battery charger and i havent had issues with the batteries. It's definitely the exhaust circulating/making its way back into the cabin.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 9th, 2022, 9:58 am

Where do your exhaust pipes exit the transom ?.......if they are near the hull sides you can extend the exit with an elbow to redirect the gasses nearer the the air flow down the side of the hull....that can help.

If you can create higher pressure inside that aft area with venting that picks up clean air from forward it will help, even on deck there can be a problem, get some CO monitors and place around, they can show maximum peak readings over time, will give you a better idea of the scope of the problem. The canvas design can also create a backdraft effect.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Petemait » August 10th, 2022, 1:02 pm

Thanks bud. I was wondering if i'd be able to extend with some elbows. The exhaust does exit close to the sides of the boat on the transom.
We have CO monitors but we are not letting the kids go back there when we run the boat. This is tough because that is where they like to play. Maybe i will look into some sort of scoop on one side of the aft cabins on the windows?
Thanks again.
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 10th, 2022, 2:21 pm

Petemait wrote:Source of the post .... Maybe i will look into some sort of scoop on one side of the aft cabins on the windows? ...

That sounds like a nice plan. BUT, if you do this, keep an eye on the hull splashes and which way the wind is blowing. I've run with those rear hatches open and not had issues, but I've also run where the wind was blowing strong "abeam" and all those windows (and everything below them) got soaked on that trip.

Do you have a forward hatch above the cabin area? On mine I did and you could open that up and it would "scoop" air into the boat as we were cruising. You'd get a really nice breeze into the cabin. Not sure if that would totally solve the aft cabin CO issue, but it might help.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » August 10th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Forward and aft are separated on that boat making forced air difficult....from the side deck down with ducting might work but require some engineering.
If you decide on the elbow thing make sure to add some muskrat guards while you are at it.. I made elbows from aluminium dryer duct 90's, the right size to fit the exhaust thru hull fittings....fabbed up the angles needed , locked in place then wrapped the fitting with roving soaked in resin, then painted black....was nice and light at the end.....can be made from many things but that worked for me.

Good luck with your boat and stay safe.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Petemait
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Petemait » August 11th, 2022, 7:35 am

Really appreciate the advice, guys. That idea sounds great, bud...

KM... Checked out the distributor yesterday with a friend who is good with that stuff and it was exactly as you said. We adjusted the springs and played around with it and the boat is running MUCH better now. He suggested i get a new distributor sometime this season because it has some worn parts but in the mean time we are in much better shape.
Thanks again,
Pete

1983 Riviera 2807

Boston, MA

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » August 11th, 2022, 8:25 am

If you still have a points distributor that would be a good time to upgrade to electronic ignition. Prestolite used to make a "kit" with complete distributor with internal electronic ignition components and matching coil and it was an easy swap. There might be other options too.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”