Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Click Flooring

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

United States of America
ColRon
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”

Re: Click Flooring

Postby ColRon » September 7th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Viper, I too am looking to upgrade my interior flooring. The admiral wants hardwood look throughout the interior. I’ve been looking at Cali Fozzilized bamboo flooring it supposedly has a high Janka hardness rating. It is the click together style, but it can also be glued down. In my Santego I already have some parquet wooden flooring that came from carver and it has no 1/4 to 1/2 gap at the walls. So my concern is I would want to install it in the same manner as Carver originally did with theirs. The Cali stuff looks very similar to the Carver stuff in color and thickness. It is my understanding that glue the stuff down reduces expansion. Does anyone know of that is true? Leaving a gap at the wall present problems as it’s not always straight but curves eliminating using a quarter round strip to cover the gap. The Cali Bamboo can be purchased at Lowes.
Ron
1989 Carver Santego 3867
“Escape Plan”
Murray, KY

:usa:

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » September 7th, 2022, 6:32 pm

Leaving a gap at the wall present problems as it’s not always straight but curves eliminating using a quarter round strip to cover the gap.

This is the stuff we used when we redid the stairs in our home. The bottom stair had a significant bend requiring a 180deg quarter-round wrap. This worked amazingly for hiding the gap on the bend:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 7th, 2022, 8:18 pm

Ya Ron, I have the same concerns. I'll check out the Cali too.

Kyle, thanks for the tip re the flexible quarter round. I really don't want to leave a gap but if there is no choice it's good to know there are options to hide the gaps at curved areas.

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » September 9th, 2022, 11:06 am

I am looking at replacing the carpet in my salon area. I am leaning towards a vinyl product that I can glue down do to the hatches to expose the bilge. I have been speaking to a friend about the type of vinyl that can be glued down. You can’t glue down all vinyl. If the vinyl has a backing on it, it can’t be glued down as the glue would react to the backing.

There are also PVC products that I am considering. Al Stuckless, (Als Marine Service) who is a member of this web site deals with and installs this all the time. It has a teak/holly appearance. Check out his web site. He is located in Kingston, Ontario, but he is the the Georgian Bay Area all the time.

I was on a brand new 60’ Cantius the other day, and they are installing vinyl floors in there boats now. I have decided that wood or laminate is not a good option for us.

Greg

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 9th, 2022, 4:30 pm

Tireless wrote:Source of the post ....If the vinyl has a backing on it, it can’t be glued down as the glue would react to the backing.....
Greg, what kind of backing are you talking about that can't be glued? They all have a backing material of some sort. Some are up to about 1/4" thick while others are less than 1/8"

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » September 10th, 2022, 10:20 am

Have you looked into the Infinity Luxury Woven vinyl products? Purchase in rolls, very easy to cut into custom patterns, and cleans up like magic. Check this link.
https://marinecarpeting.com/samples-of- ... n-teak-ii/

Hopefully, the video will load showing how easy it cleans. They pour engine oil on it, ketchup & mustard, etc., and it wipes off like magic.
Viper - if this interests you, let me know. If you are willing to drive to lower Michgan, I have a contact for you. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
quickdecision
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: Carver 3807, 1987

Postby quickdecision » September 10th, 2022, 10:52 am

Try Lonseal flooring, 10 years no problems. Wears like iron. Look at Plasteak. You make template they CNC floor for perfect fit.

Ron

Canada
Tireless
Commander
Commander
Vessel Info: 2006 Carver 44 CMY
Volvo Penta D6 370 HP

Postby Tireless » September 11th, 2022, 12:38 pm

Viper, most vinyl flooring has a backing on it from what I have seen. Normally it is a vapour or sound barrier. There are vinyl products out there that do not have a backing. If you go into a flooring store they will advise you. The selection is not as plentiful as with the flooring with backing.

The backing are normally a rubber or foam backing that is a problem for gluing down.

Greg

Topic author Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Viper » September 11th, 2022, 8:46 pm

Thanks guys, the search continues.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”