Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Changing points in 1976 mercruiser 233

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 2896

Re: Changing points in 1976 mercruiser 233

Postby Ctmangrum » September 7th, 2022, 6:18 pm

So i think ive been convinced to convert to HEI distributor. I haven't went to a shop yet but, while doing research, i couldn't quit find the model i needed for my boat. Got close. 1976 ford 351m. Any tips during install? Seems pretty basic. Do i throw out the points? Easy to wire? Thanks.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm

Don't confuse HEI with just an electronic ignition. HEI is really a branding by GM and includes a integrated distributor cap with a coil.

Also, make sure you're looking for a marine version. You want to make sure any spark-suppression that should be there is there and that it has an appropriate mechanical advance for a marine application.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » September 7th, 2022, 8:01 pm

I like the hot spark model that someone mentioned. Looked simple, good reviews. May change the distributor cap too. We'll see

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » September 20th, 2022, 12:44 am

So i'm having trouble locating my timing marks on the engine. Worn out, concealed in old muck, not sure but I cant see them. What are some of my options?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 20th, 2022, 8:15 am

Did you check the flywheel end? On many marine engines (Crusaders for sure) they put a rubber plug in the bell housing and a way to check the timing on that end.

It's a little work, but you can verify TDC by making sure the engine is positioned to fire on #1 (by looking at the rotor in the distributor), then removing the spark plug and sticking something in there to verify where TDC is. Then find the timing mark on the damper and MAKE a mark on the flywheel cover to indicate where TDC is. Then, you can either buy a "timing tape" that wraps around your damper which shows degrees or you can measure and mark the damper with degree increments (a little math, but doable).

Here's what the Crusader flywheel timing looks like:

crusader_flywheel_timing2.jpg

crusader_flywheel_timing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » September 20th, 2022, 8:52 am

So I have a Ford 351m. I know the markings are there somewhere I just cant see them.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”