Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

water leak

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
jetstream
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver MY 466

water leak

Postby jetstream » September 16th, 2022, 11:26 am

2003 Carver 466. Just noticed a small, but steady and continuous stream of water exiting from underneath and 1 1/2 ft back from the front edge of the swim platform on the port side. Inside the platform is dry and completely above water. Aft salon and master cabin a/c are off and the grey water tank is empty. No visible leaks from the sink, shower, head, a/c units or washing machine. No recent rain or wash jobs. Has anyone experienced this? If so, do you know the source? Does it have a purpose or can it be stopped? Photo attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Re: water leak

Postby g36 » September 16th, 2022, 1:48 pm

Have you tried getting in the water an eyeballing where the water is coming out of? Is it a seam or is there some small hole there?
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 16th, 2022, 2:51 pm

Assuming you are either connected to shore water, or you are using the water in your tank, turn it off and see if the water leak stops.
Looking at the picture, that stream of water is definitely under pressure. Do you have any water fixtures in the vicinity… fresh water wash down, aft deck sink, etc. You just need to start opening any and all deck or bulkhead openings until you find the leak.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » September 19th, 2022, 4:03 pm

Any updates?

United States of America
ems05#05
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2004 466 my
twin volvo tamd75

Postby ems05#05 » September 27th, 2022, 8:59 am

in that area you have multiple water lines under pressure, both hot and cold to the shower,wash basin and across the aft bulkhead wall the the deck shower.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » September 27th, 2022, 5:55 pm

Was anything running when you took that pic or just before? I don't recall what discharges there but there are discharge ports under those wings at the aft corners if I remember correctly. If so, something is plumbed through that area and maybe a line has let go or split and is exiting through the joint.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » September 30th, 2022, 11:16 am

Aft salon and master cabin a/c are off

What about the forward A/C or any other unit? Was it running? The reason I ask is that on our 396, there is only one A/C water pump that goes to a manifold that then splits out to the three individual A/C units (forward cabin, salon and aft cabin). If any one of them is on and the compressor kicks on (and hence the A/C water pump), water will be sent to all three units regardless if they are running or not. And you will also see water discharging from all three thru-hulls as well.

Keep us posted! :-D
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Topic author United States of America
jetstream
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 2003 Carver MY 466

Postby jetstream » October 17th, 2022, 11:30 am

KyleR, I think you are on the right track. On the previous posts, all water was shut off to check, showers, sinks, drains. It continued, through a small hole in the wing, under pressure. Spoke to Carver rep and he said on this model, the a/c has some kind of pressure relief system that operates whenever any of the four a/c systems are on.
Nothing to do with each individual unit or the main pump, but somewhere in the system. Shutting off all the a/c and all water sources and waiting 15 minutes, it stopped. Restarted when the a/c was turned on. So I guess Carver designed it that way and no harm done, not causing any grief and we will press on. Just never noticed it before with the angle and light, etc. Thanks for all your posts.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”