Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anyone know what this is on my flame arrestor?

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1977 Carver Mariner 2896

Anyone know what this is on my flame arrestor?

Postby Ctmangrum » September 18th, 2022, 5:35 pm

This isn't a vacuum advance is it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anyone know what this is on my flame arrestor?

Postby bud37 » September 18th, 2022, 5:55 pm

Nope....looks like electric choke...
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » September 19th, 2022, 6:32 am

Yes that's a electric choke
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » September 19th, 2022, 9:28 am

Thanks

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 19th, 2022, 10:49 am

Yep, definitely electrically-operated choke mechanism.

Looks like someone added a ground wire, so there may have been issues in the past with how it was working.

That's the nice type that is adjustable (loosen three screws and pivot the cap). There's a little mark on the top to see where it's set at currently. Looks like the main (+) connection could use some cleaning up to make sure it has a good electrical connection.

They are easy to test. On a COLD engine, make sure the choke is shutting completely (you may need to bump the throttles on some to allow the choke to reset). Once it's closed completely, you can just hook up a 12V source right to that connection on the side and watch for the choke butterfly to open. Within 5 minutes (there's actually a spec somewhere, but 5 min is reasonable), it should go from "fully closed" to "fully open" position. You can adjust the cap if the choke doesn't close all the way or if it was closed too much (which causes it way to long to open, or not open all the way).

I can't see it on that carb, but on most there's also a "choke pulloff" that's operated by vacuum. Once the engine starts, this "choke pulloff" will pop the choke open just about 1/8-3/16" to see enough air in to run.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » September 19th, 2022, 10:58 am

What's also interesting in that pic, is that the flame arrestor originally had a second hose attachment. This would have been for the vent for the other valve cover. Either that hose is missing, or this flame arrestor wasn't original to the engine and they just removed the superfluous attachment.

flame_arrestor2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » September 19th, 2022, 11:51 am

Im guessing its not the original since the other engine has the same type arrestor. Im asking about the vacuum since I am converting to Electronic ignition and it makes a difference on what part I buy. Didn't see one on the distributor but, this caught my eye. Thanks.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » September 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm

Ctmangrum wrote:Source of the post . Im asking about the vacuum since I am converting to Electronic ignition and it makes a difference on what part I buy.

Try to be sure to buy marine specific parts, electronic ignition and distributor both.....there will be no vac advance on marine engines.
I think I noticed the line from the PCV from the other valve cover going to the base of the carb, just at the back of the pic....if that is the case there will be only one hose to the flame arrester.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Ctmangrum
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Ctmangrum » September 19th, 2022, 12:19 pm

Yea, did what research I could and found the right HEI but, then started doubting when I saw that part. Time to get to work.....when it finally cools down.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”