Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Draining the bilge

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Lisasammy
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Santego 30

Draining the bilge

Postby Lisasammy » October 10th, 2022, 9:04 pm

Under the steps when entering the cabin is hull of boat with bilge pump. Access to this area is under seat through door in floor. There is always standing water in there, pump can only get so much out. Does anyone know of a drain plug or another way to get all the water out? Boat has now been stored and water must have ran to the front so it can't be sucked out. Worried about freezing over winter.

United States of America
RGrew176
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2022 Stingray 182 SC

Re: Draining the bilge

Postby RGrew176 » October 11th, 2022, 12:40 am

If you can't get the water out throw a couple gallons of the pink stuff down there. Cheap insurance. My Carver had one area where there was water remaining after the bilge pump shut down. I would toss a couple gallons of the pink stuff down there run the pump to get the pink stuff in the pump then close it up for the winter. Never a problem with freeze up.
Rick Grew

2022 Stingray 182 SC

2004 Past Commodore
West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 11th, 2022, 6:22 am

I have used a suction style oil changer that I also use to drain my raw water pick up filters. Yes they have drain plugs on them but I hate draining several litres of water into the bilge. Comes out to 2 full containers worth of water that equates to close to 12 litres just for the 4 stainers. :-O

After playing around with a DIY dry bilge pump setup this summer I elected to get one just for this purpose as opposed to using the oil changer.

A pump like this. https://www.amazon.ca/SAILFLO-Pressure-Diaphragm-Caravan-Marine/dp/B071HV4DZ3?pd_rd_w=nClh4&content-id=amzn1.sym.ccd66d6a-fd89-4716-b3af-012410ff4aa9&pf_rd_p=ccd66d6a-fd89-4716-b3af-012410ff4aa9&pf_rd_r=3REWPMP52KYF3MAAKA29&pd_rd_wg=lzNhQ&pd_rd_r=baa3abd3-c002-409b-9c97-ba3e64b480e9&pd_rd_i=B071HV4DZ3&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_2_t

10' of really soft 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD silicone tube. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08FJ9869N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

To power it I guess one does have 12v batteries on board however they are usually difficult to get to and would requires some long wires. I happen to have some 4S lipo batteries I use for RC stuff so plugging in one of those works very well and will last hours.

Pump directly into a shower sump and let it dump overboard or a small bucket and dump overboard manually.

There is always something that requires pumping out water in tight places such as an overflowed shower sump or just standing water the bilge pumps cannot get out or the PWC bilge. It now resides in the boat as a tool to use as required, actually pumps really well and self primes no problem. I was surprised to see gunk/crap being sucked up and run through the pump without issue, easily seen through the transparent hose. The silicone hose is very flexible and is easily pushed directly onto the pump inlet/outlet and easily removed. Tight enough to not require clamps however one can alway install some if so desired. For about a $50 investment it is well worth it to have this practical tool on board IMHO.

Back to the Lipo RC battery. Have used these for boosting cars on many occasions, believe me, they do pack some serious power.

I was in a parking lot and this guy had a dead large conventional booster pack which was obviously not working for him, I walked up and told him I would get mine. He actually laughed at me when he saw what I was going to use but then wanted to know where he could get one after his car started up instantly.

They do sell them ready made however after opening up a very powerful one and seeing the tiny battery in them, I decided to make my own long ago. I keep one of these on board as a boosting device such as the PWC or a boater in distress and powering anything 12v when in a bind. This little device will easily boost a large V8. Only issue is you need to be careful as there is no short circuit/polarity protection on one like this. Tie the 2 together and you will get quite the light show. :-O

Here is a picture of the one I keep at home. The one on the boat is even smaller.

IMG_0396.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » October 11th, 2022, 9:07 am

I just use a wet/dry shop vac and suck any remaining water out of there.

I had an older friend who just made sure he kept a big old sponge handy for cleaning up the same kind of issues in the bilge. A few swabs with the big sponge and a big puddle was no more. Easy. Cheap. Fast. You rarely get all three at once.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » October 11th, 2022, 9:54 am

km1125 wrote:Source of the post I just use a wet/dry shop vac and suck any remaining water out of there.

Yup, the last job before leaving the boat after winterizing was to shop vac and towel dry bilge areas and anchor locker....then go round the hull and suck out all the drains, bilge pump/sink/AC/sumps whatever including the fresh water tank vent.

Really, water that is not trapped can freeze with little issue, but anytime you can remove the source of huge amounts of moisture in your wrapped up boat is very good.....not to mention the pink stuff stinks..... :-O
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Canada
Midnightsun
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: The Midnight Sun
2007 41CMY
Volvo D6-370's

Postby Midnightsun » October 11th, 2022, 10:02 am

Shop vac works well however I prefer not to drag around a water filled vac and is definitely not something I want to keep on board as space is much too valuable. Maybe I am just getting old. :-D
Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370's
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”