Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

waring light identification

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
five0clock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: Carver 564CPMY

waring light identification

Postby five0clock » November 4th, 2022, 9:30 pm

Howdy all, I have a 2004 Carver 564CPMY that I just picked up a few weeks ago. It has the Volvo D12 diesels with the diagnostic screen on the dash for each engine. The started went bad the day I picked up the boat, but it did start and ran 2 or 3 times before it went bad and everything ran fine. The mechanic replaced the starter last week and I am just getting to the boat today and this warring light is on. The problem is I have no clue what it mean. I have the carver manual but not the volve manual. The oil pressure and temps are good on the analog guages and on the Volvo data/service display on the dash. This light is coming from the little circle display above all the other switches and displays.
Screenshot_20221104_210233_Video Player.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Re: waring light identification

Postby bud37 » November 4th, 2022, 10:47 pm

Check to see if your mechanic bumped into something, maybe wiring, connector plug, sending unit etc while working down there.

I guess this would be my first guess considering all was fine before.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Postby Cooler » November 4th, 2022, 11:13 pm

Your Carver manual should have the instrument definitions in the gauges section. Something got disconnected when the starter was replaced. Get the mechanic to check his work. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 5th, 2022, 9:31 am

I think that looks like a oil LEVEL indication. As said earlier, the tech might have knocked of a wire from a sensor. If it is oil LEVEL, then that sensor would be down on the pan somewhere, likely near the starter. I'd go take a look and see if anything looks like it's not connected.

five0clock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby five0clock » November 11th, 2022, 11:18 am

So, I just got back to the boat thinking the mechanic was going to be on board some point last week, but he was not. So now I am stuck on one engine on the darn "T" head with a storm coming in. . . . but now I am also getting another error on the port engine. and it is the same light at the top of the picture. When I hit the info button it says low oil level, once again no warring sounds what so ever. I did check the water and added some to both engines. The bottom light went out for about 30 seconds and then came back on. So I think the bottom icon is a water warning light, but what is that top one. It is a triangle with a "!" in the middle. My oil pressures are about 40PSI. On my Cummins they were 100 PSI at start up then came down to 50 or so. I thought maybe Volvo's ran with less pressure? I did check the oil and both engines were at the half way mark on the dip stick? I could add some to see what happens but not even sure what kind of oil to put in? I do have SAE 30 and 40 on the boat. Any suggestions?

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 11th, 2022, 11:56 am

If it is an oil LEVEL sensor, then I think it's more likely that somehow it got disconnected when the starter work happened, as others have said. I'd really look around that starter and around the oil pan and see if you can find the sensor and trace the wire back to see if it's disconnected. The oil being "lower than recommended" isn't really an alarming condition until it affects oil pressure, then it's an urgent issue.

The bottom icon to the right would be the water LEVEL sensor. (I only see three icons... the triangle, what I think is the oil level, and what should be the water level to the right).

The triangle with the "!" is usually a general alarm that says something needs attention... similar to the "Check Engine" on a car.

As long as the oil is well above the "ADD OIL" mark on the dipstick, you should be fine with level. Not sure where that mark would be relative to "half way mark" on the dip stick.

If you're planning on changing the oil soon (end of this year or start of next) you could use either that SAE30 or SAE40. The amount you add is going to be insignificant to what's already in there, especially since it is old used oil. If you had just done a recent change, then I would put in exactly what was in there. In any case, DO NOT OVERFILL THEM.

five0clock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby five0clock » November 11th, 2022, 12:13 pm

So I did start the engines and they ran great for about 60 seconds at 70 PSI and 80degress water temp and at 580 RPM and then came down to 400 -200 RPM then shut off! I was checking the digital and analog guages and they both said the same.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » November 11th, 2022, 2:45 pm

Ok, I poked around and found a D12 Manual. Those two lower indicators are just what I thought.... Oil and Coolant LEVEL indicators. The triangle with the "!" means "Serious fault (red indication)"

Here is a link to the manual. You can download it.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/81638 ... =18#manual

Just reading that manual, it appears that either of the "low oil level" or "low coolant level" alarms will cause the engine to go to "Engine power is reduced" but it doesn't sound like they would shut the engines down.

Is it possible you have something else going on, like the fuel valves have been shut off?

five0clock
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog

Postby five0clock » March 22nd, 2023, 10:42 am

I still can not get these lights to shut off. Everything runs great, but the lights come on as soon as I turn the key. I called the shop that changed the starter and he says they did not hit a wire and has nothing to do with the work he did.(I think that is BS). He also says it is a coolant level light, but then says this boat does not have a sensor for coolant level. What he did say is there should be a way to put the control module in diagnostic mode. He was pushing 2 button on the module beside the throttles. I think one of them was the neutral button. For some reason it would not go into diagnostic mode, he says he THINKS the module is bad and wants to replace it hoping that is the problem. Sounds like a "part changer" to me. Does anyone know what other test I can do before we replace it? Thanks for all the help.

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 22nd, 2023, 11:07 am

Like many things, big feet can hit things and maybe not be noticed.....anyway lots of warning circuits work by using a switch that goes to ground to complete a circuit and power a light or alarm buzzer etc. This may be what you have here....you will have to find where the lights are wired to....unfortunately with out a schematic it could prove to be difficult.

Again though why, if all is well and systems all function, temps and pressures all ok then I guess the assumption would be something got shorted perhaps......
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”