Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Finding a Yard

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Alanna Mo Cree
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 2003 360 Sport Sedan
Twin 8.1Gi Volvo Penta FWC

Finding a Yard

Postby Alanna Mo Cree » January 22nd, 2023, 11:15 am

The time has come for me to get some more serious work done that would either take me way too long working only weekends or things that I'd rather leave to professionals. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any good recommendations from dock neighbors on yards to work with that are within a reasonable distance of our home port on Lake Monroe in Sanford, Florida. Everyone I've talked to has horror stories of the yards they have worked with and suggest yards they haven't. Apparently the pros around here are better with bass boats and outboards than cruisers and inboards. I asked our surveyor and received one suggestion, but then that place also had horror stories from a dock neighbor.

I'm hoping I won't have to go further than down the St. Johns to Jacksonville. I've found a few places in the Jacksonville area that have ABYC techs and are ABBRA members, but even those have come up in the horror stories.
Me: "What about X in Jacksonville?"
Neighbor: "I had to sue them because of..."
Me: "What about Y up there?"
Other neighbor: "I was in there for months and they broke stuff."

If anyone has any suggestions for places they've worked with and would recommend, I'd really appreciate it.

In lieu of suggestions, if there are some tips on questions to ask or things to look for when talking to prospective yards, that would also be helpful.

These are the projects I'm planning to have done. I know some places might be better equipped for some jobs than others.
  • Shaft replacement, starboard
  • Shaft seals bellows replacement, port and starboard (starboard shaft is going to be out already anyway)
  • Cutlass bearings replacement (ditto on the shaft being out)
  • Fuel lines inspection/replacement (20 year old boat, likely original, and we smelled gas in the salon after fueling)
  • Seacock replacements, generator, deck drains, aft a/c discharge
  • Port engine heat exchanger replacement
  • Rudder packing port/starboard (might as well have it done while out of the water)
  • Anodes replaced (every time the boat is hauled)
  • Window replacement, starboard
  • Windows resealed (already doing this for starboard window replacement anyway)
  • Possible generator issue (I haven't had a chance to look at this one myself yet--just came up on last outing)
  • Annual service/general inspection/anything else that comes up because there are always other things that come up

Thanks for the help!
Charlie & Jennifer
Alanna Mo Cree | Apopka Florida
2003 Carver 360 Sport Sedan
Twin Volvo 8.1Gi
Photo Album

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Finding a Yard

Postby km1125 » January 22nd, 2023, 2:22 pm

Another thing to consider is not necessarily the PLACE that's doing the repair, but WHO exactly is doing the work. Some places get a bad rap but it's only because of a certain person who did the work. I'd also be concerned about the response of the repair place to defective work... did they step up and fix it, or did they fight with the owner to get the issue resolved?

But, I have no knowledge of your area, so can't make any recommendations there.

Alanna Mo Cree
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Alanna Mo Cree » January 24th, 2023, 7:30 pm

Good things to consider, thank you!
Charlie & Jennifer
Twin Volvo 8.1Gi
Photo Album

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » January 24th, 2023, 10:25 pm

I sympathize....it is very difficult to find good work anymore. These yards still manage their people and are responsible for the work turned out, they know full well what is going on. Maybe try some yards near larger centers....Wish you luck in your search.
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » March 19th, 2023, 8:35 pm

Were you able to find a place you trust? I am also looking to have some prop/shaft work done as well as new shaft seals and rudder seals. I'm pretty handy so I prefer a DIY place that has mechanics on site in case I get in over my head! :-O. Also would prefer a place that allows liveaboards. Just started my search tonight and ran across your thread so I was hoping you might have found a reputable place. Anywhere between Ft. Lauderdale and Jacksonville would work for me. :-D. I'm pretty flexible!

Thanks!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Alanna Mo Cree
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby Alanna Mo Cree » March 19th, 2023, 9:48 pm

I received a few recommendations for Camachee Cove in St. Augustine. It was about the only place that didn't have a horror story from anyone. From where I am in Sanford that would be about 3 days travel time so I didn't want to go that far. I'm not sure if they allow DIY.

The only DIY yard I know of is near Daytona, and I don't remember the name. I'm sure there are probably others between Ft. Lauderdale and Jacksonville, but if I'm having the boat hauled I'm probably having someone else do most of the work since I only get a weekend day to work on things. What a yard can finish in a week would take me at least a month. I know there are some good service providers in the Stuart area, but I'm not familiar with the yards in that area.
Charlie & Jennifer
Twin Volvo 8.1Gi
Photo Album

United States of America
KyleR
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Postby KyleR » March 20th, 2023, 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply! I've also heard good things about Camachee Cove. Definitely worth a call. I found a DIY boatyard in Titusville (Westland Boatyard) with a mechanic shop on site (Boaters Edge) that I am going to call as well. We stayed at the Titusville Marina for a few days a while back and went next door to these two places and the people were very friendly. I'll try to update this post when I complete my work and let others know where I ended up going and how it went. Thanks again for your reply!
MV Verity
2002 Carver 396
Twin Cummins 6BTA 370HP

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”