Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Re-backing my deck carpeting

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 79' Carver 28 Mariner Twin Pleasurecraft 302's (For Sale $12,300)
85' Carver 3207 Aft with Mercury 5.7L

Re-backing my deck carpeting

Postby jwrape » April 2nd, 2014, 1:27 pm

I have, like most everyone else that has a 3207, carpeting on my rear deck. I lifted it up and found that the fiberglass looks like a shattered egg shell. It's not pretty. I assume its from water seeping through the carpeting and sitting on top of the fiberglass causing it to crack. I am wondering if there is some type of rubber cement or silicone that I could apply to the backing of the carpet to prevent the water from penetrating it. The carpet originally had a backing that is falling off but the carpet is still in good condition on top so I would rather just re-coat it some how to help prevent water sitting on the fiberglass, especially after I have the fiberglass fixed.

United States of America
Solana
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 38' Carver Santego - Complete refit 2016/2017

Re: Re-backing my deck carpeting

Postby Solana » April 3rd, 2014, 12:12 am

I'd get get ride of the carpet and replace it with this stuff:

http://marineflooring.net

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 79' Carver 28 Mariner Twin Pleasurecraft 302's (For Sale $12,300)
85' Carver 3207 Aft with Mercury 5.7L

Postby jwrape » April 3rd, 2014, 6:19 am

Solana wrote:I'd get get ride of the carpet and replace it with this stuff:

http://marineflooring.net

Yea, but I am not a rich man. New is preferred but not really practical. I like to call it ballin' on a budget.
I usually fix what I can and then save for the major upgrades.
I don't own credit cards and pay cash for everything. I have a lot of toys but just as this Carver, they are older and restored instead of new.

United States of America
Solana
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 38' Carver Santego - Complete refit 2016/2017

Postby Solana » April 4th, 2014, 1:10 am

Our carpet did the same thing, it was actually so bad that it was making more of a mess with all the black rubber just flaking off. So I just tossed the carpet and left the plain ol' fiberglass until I was able to afford the deckadwnce. I searched high and low for the decadence and got it pretty cheap by ordering from Canada and we installed it ourselves (pretty easy)

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”