Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

PROPS for 1988 3207 aft cabin

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
Skinny Carp
Scurvy Dog
Scurvy Dog
Vessel Info: 1988 Carver 3207 aftcab

PROPS for 1988 3207 aft cabin

Postby Skinny Carp » February 14th, 2023, 10:54 am

Can anyone help me find the correct props for a 1988 aft cabin? I'm super green. I know I need to either repair or replace the props, so I'm thinking about sending off the damaged one and then also buying a new set so I'll have a backup in the future. I could use recommendations for a place to send my props to get repaired as well as the specs of the props I should buy. Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions and thanks for helping!

United States of America
Cooler
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1995 Carver 330 Mariner
Twin 350XL Crusaders
Home port: Menominee, MI

Re: PROPS for 1988 3207 aft cabin

Postby Cooler » February 14th, 2023, 11:20 am

Different engines had different original props. Need to know what you have for power. The are probably close to 19 X 19. Also, determine if you have counter rotating props. How much damage does the bad one have? If it is significant, you may need to inspect the shafts and couplers also. 8-) er
Cooler By The Lake
( All weather people have to say this on air, near lakes )

United States of America
plittle2005
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 1992 Carver 350 Aft Cabin

Postby plittle2005 » February 14th, 2023, 11:56 am

The pitch and diameter should be stamped into the prop hub. Clean off thoroughly to see the numbers. You have a twin, so they will be counter-rotating. They are most likely the factory props, so replace with the exact duplicates. Most props are repairable (you shouda' seen mine after I hit that rockpile last year!) Good luck in finding a spare set. Meanwhile....SITC! (Stay in the Channel!)

Phil Little
'92 3307 AC

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » February 14th, 2023, 2:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.......if you are not on a schedule here to get the boat in the water, there may be some things
you need to cross off the list and there will be lots of competent help with those things here I am sure.

My first question for you would be.....how are you sure the boat is worth all the repairs and what is your list of things to do before splash time.....don't want to put it in then find out it has to come back out...read expensive double handling here.

Was there a pre purchase survey ?

Sorry man but this is the reality of it as I see it.....good luck with your coming adventure, nothing better than fooling with boats..... :down:
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

United States of America
buster53
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 2001, Carver 356

Postby buster53 » February 15th, 2023, 9:39 am

If you can’t find anyone any closer, Murphy Propeller in Norfolk, VA has a pretty good reputation in the mid Atlantic area. Took my props in a couple years ago to be serviced…looked brand new when I picked them up.

United States of America
km1125
Admiral
Admiral

Postby km1125 » February 15th, 2023, 11:01 am

Don't be afraid to be a little flexible on your replacement props, especially if the stock ones can be reconditioned and used as your "mains".

You can go with a different diameter or pitch prop (usually slightly smaller) and even go to a 3 blade instead of four. This works great if these are your SPARE props, where you can afford to lose a little performance until you get your "mains" reconditioned and ready to put back in use. This could save you a TON of money on something you RARELY need but that could be VERY handy and save you a lot of time.

Example. My boat had 22x22 four blade props that were OEM and performed just fine. I ran across a deal on CL for a set of three blade 22x20 props from an older Sea Ray ($250 for both!). I snapped them up just to use as spares. A year later I dinged a prop really good and the next day I had the boat hauled, swapped props and was back in the water. Was able to use the boat immediately and for the rest of the season while I sent the stock props in for repair. I got them back within a couple weeks, but waiting until the end of the season to swap them back avoid another haul-out charge. The boat performed close to the same, although the engine RPMs were slightly higher for the same cruise speed. Not enough of a difference to really matter that much. Did the exact same thing a few years later when I dinged another prop on a rock.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”