Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

WOW!!! Carburetors are NASTY (rebuilt last night)

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 79' Carver 28 Mariner Twin Pleasurecraft 302's (For Sale $12,300)
85' Carver 3207 Aft with Mercury 5.7L

WOW!!! Carburetors are NASTY (rebuilt last night)

Postby jwrape » April 3rd, 2014, 6:54 am

All I can say is WOW! i have never seen such a nasty set of Carbs.
So from what I can tell the 3207 I bought Saturday was up for sale since at least 2/2013. The motors have a little over 300 hours on them since they were replaced with re manufactured Mercury 5.7L's. The motors look pretty new and are all nice and painted although they are a little dusty. I plan to wash the bildge down shortly anyways.

Anyways, you can see that the boat was put up for sale and then not touched since (assuming there was a divorce involved). I assume there was some moisture in the tanks and in the lines because the carbs have rust in them especially the Port side.
When i took off the last chance filters, Sand fell out. I assume it's Rust but it looks like dirt. I'm going to replace all the water/fuel separator filters and then cross my fingers that everything works properly.
If it continues to run funny after I put the rebuilt carbs on then, I will have to figure out what I need to do to get the water out. I hope it didn't do any damage to the tanks or lines. I am hoping the water/fuel separator filters will catch it all.

I had a similar issue with my other boat and the filters caught it all and it runs clean now.

Here are the pics of what I found as I rebuilt the two carbs
Here is the fuel line coming into the Port Carburator
Dirt/Rust that fell out of the Last Chance Filter
Once I got it apart I found a lot of evidence of water in the bowl. I ended up bead blasting it to get the rust out
Here is the Starboard Carb. It's not as bad. This motor ran but would not stay idling for more than 30 seconds without pumping the throttle. I found a lot of Caramelled gas in it that looks like blood.
Here is the last chance filter on the starboard side. This Carb was running if you can believe it. CRAZY full of rust

Here is the cleaned and rebuilt Port side Carb. I dated it for my own reference

Here is the Starboard side rebuilt
And both together ready for install.
I am expecting they should start right up and then need to be tuned but should be all good.
I am still worried about the fuel pump on the Port side cause I never got fuel up to that Carb, but I don't know if that was from the clogged line at the carb or a clogged line somewhere else or just a destroyed fuel pump from the rust.
Only troubleshooting will tell.

United States of America
waybomb
CYO Moderator
CYO Moderator
Vessel Info: 1995 Boston Whaler Rage15
1987 3697 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar 46 Kevlar Vee offshore
1969 15' Glasspar / 1967 Johnson Electromatic 85
1996 Boston Whaler Rage 15

Re: WOW!!! Carburetors are NASTY (rebuilt last night)

Postby waybomb » April 3rd, 2014, 7:52 am

Does the gas smell OK?
Cheek the anti siphon valves at the fuel tank. Gunk and junk will collect in them as well. If the check ball does not travel freely replace the valves.
Carry spare files and tools for a while as the junk will keep coming.

On my project boat I had to get rid of all the gas because it sat for ten years. Your carbs were clean compared to mine!
Thanks
Fred
1969 Glaspar Avalon /1969 Johnson Electromatic 85
1987 Carver Mariner
1988 Cougar Kevlar 46' with triple blown 572 ci
1995 Boston Whaler Rage
Past - 1988 2807, 1989 4207 Aft

Topic author
jwrape
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Vessel Info: 79' Carver 28 Mariner Twin Pleasurecraft 302's (For Sale $12,300)
85' Carver 3207 Aft with Mercury 5.7L

Re: WOW!!! Carburetors are NASTY (rebuilt last night)

Postby jwrape » April 3rd, 2014, 8:00 am

waybomb wrote:Does the gas smell OK?
Cheek the anti siphon valves at the fuel tank. Gunk and junk will collect in them as well. If the check ball does not travel freely replace the valves.
Carry spare files and tools for a while as the junk will keep coming.

On my project boat I had to get rid of all the gas because it sat for ten years. Your carbs were clean compared to mine!

Oh geez!. I thought mine were bad, I couldn't imagine worse.
Yes, the gas smells normal from the line. I think it just sat in the carb and turned. The Starboard side has a half a tank and the port side gauge doesn't work but I know I put in 10 gallons to see if it would move the gauge but I think there is more in there. I will be troubleshooting that soon too

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”