Welcome to Carver Yachts Owners Forum

We are a boating forum for owners of Carver Yachts to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of Carver Boat ownership. Whether you are looking for your first Carver or currently own one, you are sure to feel at home on CarverYachtOwners.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Canvas Panels

Anything related to the operation of your boat. Steering, Bilge Pumps, thru-hulls, bottom paint, etc.

Topic author United States of America
tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1994 Carver 39 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Re: Canvas Panels

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 5th, 2023, 3:33 pm

LOL, of course Viper! I spent the afternoon oiling the REX, then started to practice sewing. I got this! Production starts next week. Stay tuned. If it fails, just look for the smoker to the south on Cape Cod!

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 18th, 2023, 1:30 pm

Well guys the canvas shop opened today and closed pretty quickly. I hate to say it, but teh REX did not handle the canvas well. It was struggling and then would ski stitches. I bought it from AMAZON and teh return window was over 3/25. SO, I packed her up and closed teh “canvas shop” before anything even got done! Then I bit the bullet and bought a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSV with the monster balance wheel! So deep reduction and I am a tad poorer, but wished I had bought it from teh start. Went from a used REX, that I had to have repaired and it could not handle it, then a NEW Rex and it is now going back, a Singer 4452, ((Gave that away to a needy family who sews their own clothes, made me feel good!) and now a $1450.00 Sailrite. Let’s see how this one goes! Hans, did you get yours yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 18th, 2023, 8:59 pm

Thanks for posting that Tony. That's important information. I'm sure others will think so too. It'll still pay for itself on the first job!

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 18th, 2023, 9:34 pm

It will for sure, as I got a price for $4800.00 for this work. However, I am not scared to say what this has cost me:

Used REX $200.00
Repair Used Rex as it was out of time: $250.00
Parts to repair used REX: $90.00
Thread holder: $45.00
Stitch length limiter:$75.00
Total: $660.00

NEW REX from AMAZON: $425.00
Make base (it did not come with a case: $71.00

RETURN NEW Rex: -$425.00

Time lost on project: 2.5 weeks.

Without counting lost time and aggravation I tossed $660.00 out the window. Yes, new one was double that, however, It came with a carry Case, 5 year warranty, bigger motor, more power and slower speed and includes stitch length limiter

Although new seemed expensive, there is a price to quality, and also having a machine come fully assembled, oiled and tested

SO, I wished I had bought new the first time. I could have saved $200.00 if I wanted to get a straight stitch only. However for that $200.00 I got a zig zag function.

Stand by for more:

PS: I saw a you tube video on Sailrite that noted although not optimum, it is OK to do as I decided to do. Pin/staple old piece to table, slice out old vinyl, slide new one in with some glue or basting tape and then sew away.

Be well everyone!

Canada
Viper
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter
Vessel Info: 1989 Carver 3807 Aft Cabin

Postby Viper » March 18th, 2023, 9:45 pm

Can't wait to see the results!

United States of America
g36
Admiral
Admiral
Vessel Info: 1997 Carver 405

Postby g36 » March 19th, 2023, 12:00 am

One thing that's helped me with larger sewing pieces is having a larger workspace behind and on the left side of the machine. I will pull my my sewing table into the middle of the room and I have 2 portable tables that are the same height and I'm able to keep the piece flat while sewing rather than fighting it when falls of the back or side. Glad you got your machine worked out. I know you'll enjoy the sailrite.
1997 Carver 405
Crusader xli
The Black Pearl
Soddy Daisy Tn.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 19th, 2023, 6:28 am

Space is an issue, but I did get a couple of saw horses as you saw and will move machine over to it when I finally get to sew it!

Been a journey, but the bumpy road is over, from what I see!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 19th, 2023, 7:50 am

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post SO, I wished I had bought new the first time. I could have saved $200.00 if I wanted to get a straight stitch only. However for that $200.00 I got a zig zag function.

Seems you fell victim to the affliction many of us have......the trying to save money thing that rarely works virus.....I too have been bitten by that one even when I have known better and had many examples to prove it, yet who of us can resist.... :banghead:

Good luck with your project
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

tonyiiiafl
CYO Supporter
CYO Supporter

Postby tonyiiiafl » March 20th, 2023, 6:59 pm

The Sailrite has shipped. This must be SOME beast! Shipping weight is 67LBS! Arriving Thursday!

Canada
bud37
Admiral
Admiral

Postby bud37 » March 20th, 2023, 9:06 pm

tonyiiiafl wrote:Source of the post Shipping weight is 67LBS! Arriving Thursday!

Heavy is good I think.....
The above is strictly my opinion always based on years of doing...remember to support local business , it pays back.

Return to “General Repairs & Maintenance”